Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Constantly having to add acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Constantly having to add acid

Hi all,
    This is my first season using BBB and I couldn't be happier.
    The water has never looked or felt better. Previously, the pool store had me adding Jack's Blue and algacide every week "just in case." Plus, I was chlorinating using tablets. Eventually, the CYA level was >150 and I had an algae bloom in spite of "adequate" chlorine levels. Thanks to the TFP website, I learned what had gone wrong, partially drained and refilled the pool to lower CYA, and now all seems well.

I do have a question, though, for the chemistry gurus: It seems I have to add acid 2-3 times a week. I check the pH and TC every other day. Here are my latest readings, from a full TF-100 test panel last weekend:
    Hardness 250, TC 7, FC 7, pH 7.6, TA 100, CYA 100.
    Adding acid using the Pool Calculator, the pH goes down then comes right back up.
    I don't mind adding acid if done carefully, but is this expected behavior?
    In-ground, 13,000 gallon pool, plaster, built 2008-9.
    Pump Whisper-flow 60 gpm DE filter
    Spa: 2013 Hot Springs/salt generator

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Constantly having to add acid

I don't mind adding acid if done carefully, but is this expected behavior?
    Somewhat. Most pools will tend to experience pH rise. Are you letting it go to 7.8? and then lowering to 7.2......that might cut down your frequency.

If you are already doing that, you might consider lowering TA down around 70 which will slow the rate (but not the overall total) as well.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

As an aside, your CYA is 100. Have you considered lowering that? Your FC of 7 is at the bare minimum for that CYA. Any lower and you will risk an algae bloom.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I add acid 2 or 3 times a week; never much, a cup or two. I don't worry about it as long as it's consistent.

Every pool has its own personality.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Deep South

>> have to add acid 2-3 times a week.

Appears to be quite normal. In monitoring the SWCG caused rise in pH, the Simpool normally injects very small quantities each morning and then nothing for the rest of the day, I go through a gallon of acid about every 2.5 weeks while maintaining the pH at 7.4--7.5

6. Back To Top    #6

Clearwater, FL.

I was adding acid 2 times a week when my PH got to 7.8-8.0, TA was 120 in my pool when trying to keep the PH down.
    I lowered my TA to 80 and now the pH stays right at 7.5 all the time!

Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

7. Back To Top    #7

Suwanee, GA

I agree with supertune, drop your TA a bit. My pH is always on the rise and running a lower TA keeps it from rising so fast. I'll usually add acid every 10-14 days.
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Central NY

"Luckily", living in the Northeast, I don't have to ever add any acid, as we get enough from the rains!! LOL!!! In fact, I have to do just the opposite, I watch pH lower and then add occasional Borax to counteract. Thanks Detroit !!! Or ... well, who do I thank nowadays??? With all the manufacturing jobs lost in our great country ... whom do I blame??? Must be all the coal burning power plants out that way!!
    14,600g / 24ft. Round Above Ground with Solar Cover
    18" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump running 10am - 8pm
    Full Sun (when we get sun ... LOL): Approx. 10am to 7pm
    Using the Trouble Free Method, and loving it!! Arrrrrrrr!!!!

9. Back To Top    #9

SouthCentral Ohio

I add about 2 cups of acid a week. My fill water has a high TA, around 210. So every time I top off the pool, the TA and pH go up some. No big deal.
    24 ft round 52 inch deep ABG Pool
    3/4 HP PowerFlo Matrix Pump
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Small entry deck & wedding cake steps

10. Back To Top    #10

I also live in the Northeast but must constantly add acid as my PH climbs
    Kurt R
    35900 gal. 20x40 Inground, Vinyl Liner with Deep End in the Middle, Roman Stairs on Both Ends
    Sta Rite Sys 3, Hayward 1.5 Super Pump, Aqua Heat Heat Pump, Paramount in Floor, BBB

11. Back To Top    #11
    League City, Texas

When our heat goes up (water can get to 90 degrees), and with my SWG, spa overspill, the waterfalls running every other day for a little while and still curing plaster (2 years a few months) I have to add acid almost daily. 8 ounces. Got it down. Now there are days here and there I can skip but for now this seems to be what the pool wants. My TA is 70 and was 60. Having problems with drought and CH increasing because we can't drain and add water right now. I just live with this and enjoy my sparklyicious water!
    7,000 gal. IG gunite, SWG, PebbleSheen interior finish-Aqua Blue, 8' vanishing edge raised 16-jet overspill spa, 2 12" waterfalls, tan shelf with bubbler.
    Pentair equipment: Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC-40, Intelliflo VF 3050, 2.5 hp Whisperflo spa pump, 1 hp Whisperflo water feature pump, Quad 100 DE filter, Master Temp 400 heater, Legend Platinum Cleaner (3/4 hp pump). Autofill, TF-100 Test Kit w/salt and borate strips.

Pisces Pool Build