Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for a strainer basket

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for a strainer basket

I am a Licenced Aquatic Facility Tech for a small, rural country club pool. This is our setup. I know it isn't pretty but there are three techs and 3 attendants that make sure it is clean and run well. The community loves it.

As you can see it is old. I don't even know how old. The problem I have seems simple enough but I have just about exhausted all possibilites.

The problem: The baskets that are being used in that old strainer are Sta-Rite C858P. They seem to "fit" but are not the correct basket for it. The Sta-Rite is too short and if the "D" shaped inlet orifice of the basket is lined up with the outlet then we have a passthrough situation as indicated in my diagram. Our pump has suffered recently because of this. The basket must be turned with the "D" shaped orifice to the left under the inlet so that the basket will strain. I'm not sure that there isn't a possibilty that it could turn inside the housing and continue to cause problems. All the techs and attendants know to turn the basket so the "D" is to the left. I would like to find a basket that is better suited.

I called Hayward and they said a replacement basket lists for $319. We can't swing that at this facility. Any ideas on where to look for a less expensive basket that will work? I will get dimensions of what is needed tomorrow. FYI the bottom pic is the basket that Hayward says works. Then one above it is the Sta-Rite we are using.
    [attachment=1:3daepyxu]strainer.JPG[/attachment:3daepyxu][attachment=0:3daepyxu]strainer2.JPG[/attachment:3daepyxu]

Attached Images Attached Images
    Commercial, 84,000 galloned, sand filtered, inground, plastered, 240gpm classic.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looking for a strainer basket

Get us the strainer pot's p/n too. All I can see in the pic is Hayward. If you have the P/N for the basket, exen better!
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

If the Sta-Rite fits well, Take a piece of stainless screen material and glue it over the opening so that bypassing isn't possible.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    Get us the strainer pot's p/n too. All I can see in the pic is Hayward. If you have the P/N for the basket, exen better!
    Basket is a Sta-Rite C858P

[attachment=0:naqcveh0]strainer3.JPG[/attachment:naqcveh0]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Commercial, 84,000 galloned, sand filtered, inground, plastered, 240gpm classic.