Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mat Under Royal Entrance Stairs

1. Back To Top    #1

Mat Under Royal Entrance Stairs

We just purchased a 2' x 3' mat to put under our "Royal Entrance" stairs in our above ground pool. We heard that these mats are a good idea to protect the liner under the stairs. The problem is that the mat moves aorund when we're swimming. Has anyone else used these mats and if so, how do you keep them in place. Thanks so much for any advice you have to offer.
    Ruth
    21 x 41 Doughboy Desert Spring AGP, 7' Deep, 27,800 Gallons,
    Doughboy 2HP 2-Speed Pump, Cartridge Filter, In-Line Chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mat Under Royal Entrance Stairs

We bought one for our new pool, too and we couldn't get it to stay in place.
    Hope someone has a suggestion
    thanks
    27 foot AG vinyl pool (17100 gallon) - Sand Dollar Filter 1.5 hp 2 speed pump
    TFTestkit

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't have a mat under our steps and haven't found any wear but that's not your question.

The only way I can think of is to weigh the mats down with a sand bag or something similar. That might hold it in place.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, Dave. That's a good suggestion. My husband was thinking of putting a weight on the mat behind the stairs, but I wasn't sure if that would be the best solution. Looks like it is. Also good to know that the stairs haven't caused any wear on your liner. I appreciate your help!

By the way, this is a terrific forum. I am a new pool owner and have learned a tremendous amount from you and the others on this site. Thanks!
    Ruth
    21 x 41 Doughboy Desert Spring AGP, 7' Deep, 27,800 Gallons,
    Doughboy 2HP 2-Speed Pump, Cartridge Filter, In-Line Chlorinator

5. Back To Top    #5

Is your matt moving out from under your stairs or just floating up on the edges where there is no weight on them?
    Dough Boy 12' x 24' Oval
    Wedding Cake Steps
    1500 SF Timber Tech Composite Decking

Video of my pool and retaining wall....Above Ground Pool Ideas - YouTube

6. Back To Top    #6

Our's is floating on the surface of the pool. I don't think that we can add any weight to it since it is exactly the same size as the bottom of the stairs.
    I love this forum, too. There is so much valuable information there. Thanks
    TFTestkit

7. Back To Top    #7

Moxy -- Is your steps solid on the bottom or do they have a cavity? Most I've seen have a cavity where you could lay a sand bag and sit the steps over that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Bama - they're solid on the bottom. There is a weight (I think the pool guys put some bricks or something in there) inside the stairs but I guess it just doesn't hold them down enough
    TFTestkit

9. Back To Top    #9

Then I would add more weight to the stairs themselves. There are several good threads about making step weights on the forum.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

we used the bathtub mat with the suction cups on the backside and never had an issue, I hated those stairs though, always got mold algae outbreaks that started on the far side of the stairs in the dead spot where water didn't like to circulate and if you didn't throw a puck into the stairs, you'd get the odd outbreak inside the stairs as well, a few years ago, I decided to turn the stairs around, now we have the flip up portion going into the pool and the nice stairs on the outside, suits us just fine and I haven't seen algae in god knows how long.