Backwash and adding DE

My pool is less than a month old and I am ready to add salt to the pool and turn on my Salt Chlorinator. I would like to backwash before doing so, how much DE do I put in after backwashing? How much salt do I put in? What setting should I start with on the Chlorinator?

Currently my pool is setup for chlorine.

It's too early for the salt! One month is the minimum for that. As for backwashing and adding DE, the amount should be listed in the manual for the filter (and maybe on the DE bag...not sure). The general rule is to add 80% of a full load of DE after each backwashing, since not all of it comes out.

Welcome to TFP!!

Please give this thread a read for using your DE filter :)

Go ahead and add the salt, add 2/3 to 3/4 of what the chart says you'll need and add the remaining after you check the salt level - i.e. make sure that it raises the salt ~ what it should have - pool gallonage is estimated and you don't want to overdose nor underdose the salt. You can also use the change in salinity of the pool to get a better estimate of your pool's gallonage. :idea:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MELT IN THE SUN!!! :party: :whoot: :cheers: :wave: :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.