Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long to run the pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long to run the pump?

I have been a pool owner for all of 10 days now and I tend to run the pump 4-8 hrs. a day. My water is testing excellently and it's pristine sparkly, but I think I'm running the pump WAY too long. I want to cut down, but don't know what is optimal. A little info on the pool & filter combo is in my signature. I'm running the pool around 16K gallons and the pump is rated for a 38K gallon turnover in 4 hours, so my pool is being turned over in just under 2 hours. If the rule of thumb 1 turn-over or is there such a rule? Thanks in advance for the help!
    16,000 gallon 27'x52" Above Ground Pool
    Hayward XStream CC1000 Filter w/1HP Pump (hard plumbed)
    My Build Thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long to run the pump?

I'm sorry, I made a mistake ... 38K gallons is turned over in 8 hours, meaning my pool would be turned over in just less than 4 hours.
    16,000 gallon 27'x52" Above Ground Pool
    Hayward XStream CC1000 Filter w/1HP Pump (hard plumbed)
    My Build Thread

3. Back To Top    #3

I thought I knew enough about pools but after discovering this forum I realized there is a lot more to learn. I know for me in phoenix during the summer I run it around 8-10 hours and in off season only half that. I am sure someone will chime in and give the correct info but I think someone had told me at leslies to run it 1hr for ever 10 degrees (not sure how accurate that is though)
    13k IG pebble pool w/waterfall, 1hp whisperflow pump, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter
    Circupool SI45+ swg
    TF100 +speed stir Taylor 1766 salt test

4. Back To Top    #4

The rule of thumb is one turnover per day. The other rule of thumb is to run it only as long as it takes to keep the water looking clean (which takes some experimentation). I'd try maybe 5, and see how that works.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

I live in the Coachella Valley (La Quinta/Palm Springs area) with temps now over 100 degrees every day and have a 48 foot x 30 foot pool, 8 feet deep at the deep end....I run my pump 5 hours a day....I have an Intelichlor salt system. Water is totally clean and meets all the numbers for Ph, chlorine, etc. 5 hours works for me pool.