Need help figuring out new Pentair Intelliflo VS

Jul 9, 2011
Hi,

I just installed a new Intelliflo VS to replace a Jandy single speed.

Problem 1: The instructions said to turn the mail PVC hand tight plus one more turn. I did that and it leaked like crazy. So I cut the pipe and tightened it quite a bit more. I had to piece together the remaining pipe to get it all to work. It still has a very small leak. Is there some kind of putty I can put on there to stop the leak?

Problem 2: I can't figure out how all the settings and flows work. I programmed the EasyTouch with the default RPMs of 1100, 1500, 2350, 3110. However, I don't know what to do with these 4 speeds now. How do I figure out how long to run the pump at what speed?

I have a 20,000 gal pool with a raised spa, 3 return jets in the pool, 4 in the spa (with a spillway). I have solar and a gas heater. I also use a Goldline saltwater chlorinator, and a Polaris ATV cleaner.

So I need to run the pump for a few hours in the early afternoon to heat the pool to where we like it...I would assume that would be at a pretty high speed. Then I guess it could be turned down and run long enough to make enough chlorine and clean the pool.

I really don't understand what all the circuits and features are for. Do I create a circuit or feature for each speed? Does each one of those get assigned to an Aux button (I have 3 open aux buttons).

The manual doesn't really help with any of this.

You should apply a teflon based pipe dope or thread compound to the threads before screwing in the pipe.

For routine circulation you want to run the pump on the slowest speed that still allows your skimmer and SWG (if you have one) to work, but not lower than 800 RPM. For most people this is somewhere around 1,000-1,400 RPM. To get the Polaris to work you will want to run at a somewhat higher speed, perhaps around 2,000 RPM, but again the slowest speed where the Polaris works correctly. Same thing again for solar, but again it may be an even high speed. The Easy Touch will allow you to program all of these speeds associated with the corresponding circuits.

I used teflon tape because that's what several people online had suggested. Short of cutting it back about 4 feet (due to already piecing it and then running into angles) is there a patch compound that I can use around it just to stop the small leak?

So is it all just trial and error? I would think there would be some charts or something that figures out how much water is moved based on RPMs, etc.

So I imagine that the Polaris will clean in the time it takes to heat the pool each day...the pool doesn't get very dirty. So do I program a "circuit" for that top speed, then another circuit for a lower speed to keep up the chlorinator level? Then program 1 "schedule" for each?

I would suggest using pipe dope, it just works better overall. You'll have to re-plumb though.

It's trial and error unless you install a flow meter or determine your total dynamic head and reference a flow chart.

Set one speed for Pool - low speed for regular filtration, one for cleaner - maybe a higher speed to make the cleaner work for a bit, and one for heater - high enough to make the heater come on.

There is no reliable way to fix a leak around the threads without removing the pipe and putting it back in again.

Yes, it really is mostly trial and error. Even with a flow meter and perfect knowledge of your TDH, there is no way to knowing how many GPM you need to get the skimmer to work correctly. It depends on too many factors that can't be measured. There are all kinds of charts you can get and calculations you can do, but they don't tell you anything more than a rough guess at what will actually work.

Instead of thinking of circuits as pump speeds, think of circuits as things you want to do: filter, heat, clean. You program the pump circuit for the lowest speed that skims correctly. Then set a separate speed for when the heater, the automation system will take care of changing speeds when it decides to turn on the heater. Then make a circuit for running the pool cleaner and give it an appropriate speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.