Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spot Cleaning

1. Back To Top    #1

Spot Cleaning

I am considering buying a battery operated spot cleaner. We have vacuum hose and a Polaris but there are days I would like to clean one or two spots on the bottom of our pool. The vacuum hose takes time to set up and the Polaris can run for hours and avoid the dirt you wanted it to pickup.

The idea of using a device to clean a 2 ft by 2 ft area on the bottom of the pool seems attractive. However, I wonder if spot cleaners work? Are they power full enough to pick up dirt and leaves? Do they eat batteries? Are they gimmicks that sound good but are useless for a large in ground pool? Does your unit have sufficient suction? How long do the batteries last? Does the unit use a standard pool pole? How long have you owned your unit? ( I have seen several reviews that say their unit died shortly after the one year warranty expired.)

Do small pressure vacs like the Ocean Blue Water Products 130050 Deluxe Jet Vac work better. Hate the idea of hooking up the hose for spot cleaning but perhaps this is necesaary.

I would appreciate hearing your experience with specific spot cleaners!

30,000 gallon gunite in-ground with a spillover spa, Diving board and water slide
    Hayward 1 HP Super II filter pump, Hayward 24 " Sand Filter Pro Series using zeolite media
    Polaris 380 cleaner with ¾ HP booster pump, Hayward Heatmaster pool heater, AutoPilot DIG-220 Power Supply SC-60 cell
    Testing with the TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Spot Cleaning

The Catfish has been getting good reviews here lately. I've seriously considered one myself for spot cleaning.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit