Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Efficiency Pumps

1. Back To Top    #1

Efficiency Pumps

Our pump has gone out and I wanted to purchase a high efficiency pump. From what I have seen Intelliflo is just not reliable and only has a 1 year warranty. Does anyone know anything about EcoPump or Leaf Pumps? Are they reliable? We have a 30,000gallon in ground pool and currently have a Stayright Maxiglass2 2 Hp.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Efficiency Pumps

Welcome to TFP!
    What are your electric rates? Unless they are quite high (say .30/kwh) a 2-speed pump makes more sense. For a 30,000 gal pool with no water features (right?) I think a 1 hp 2-speed pump would be a good choice. Hayward, Pentair, and Jandy all make good ones.

Edit: never heard of Leaf pumps, and the Ecopump has been the subject of some spirited discussion here on the forum I would stick with an established brand.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Not reliable? Maybe if you live where there are frequent power outages or lightning strikes. Any other brands will have the same results then.

It's the #1 variable speed pump on the market. And not just because they were first to the market, either.

Jandy's E-Pump isn't a bad choice either.

The Hayward, just being a Hayward product with their cheaper is better mindset is enough of a kiljoy but the product is too new for me to say anything wrt MTBF issues it may have.

I never heard of Leaf.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

The Leaf pump ( http://www.leafpumps.com/ ) is manufactured or distributed by the same (Texas) company ( http://www.spectralightuv.com/ ) as the Ecopump is ( http://www.ecopoolpumps.com/ ).

The Leaf pump motor is a VFD technology 3 phase motor, with the VFD controlling electronics mounted in a box separate from the motor.

I don't know what the motor technology is for the Ecopump.

Best regards,

Bill
    30 KGal IG plaster pool with diving board & spa, built '96; 2 speed (2.2/0.28 THP) AO Smith B2983 hi efficiency motor for circ (3 skimmers w/ 1.5" lines & drain w/ 2" line) (replaced original 1 speed Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II 2.0 THP pump in 2011); waterfall w/ Sta-Rite Max-Glass II 2.5 THP pump w/ 2.5" lines, Polaris 280 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP pump, Sta-Rite System 3 Vertical Grid 53 sqft DE filter, AquaLink RS6 P&S w/ 52 pin Rev K.33 controller, Rainbow offline tri-chlor erosion feeder, 450 KBTU/hr Rheme gas-fired heater, Dallas climate, 10/kwh current electric rate, energy monitoring system at http://www.welserver.com/WEL0043

5. Back To Top    #5

The length of the Pentair warranty depends on how many pieces of Pentair equipment you have. With three of more pieces of equipment from Pentair the warranty goes up to three years.

None of the variable speed motors will be as reliable as a single speed or dual speed motor, though some of them, including the IntelliFlo come reasonably close.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    ...never heard of Leaf pumps, and the Ecopump has been the subject of some spirited discussion here on the forum. ...
    I'd like to get knowledgeable on Ecopump, including reading the above noted thread. Unfortunately, though, I'm unable to access it ('unauthorized forum message). While I'm a new member, I'm also a contributor. Is there something I need to do to be able to access this thread?

Many thanks!

Best regards,

Bill
    30 KGal IG plaster pool with diving board & spa, built '96; 2 speed (2.2/0.28 THP) AO Smith B2983 hi efficiency motor for circ (3 skimmers w/ 1.5" lines & drain w/ 2" line) (replaced original 1 speed Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II 2.0 THP pump in 2011); waterfall w/ Sta-Rite Max-Glass II 2.5 THP pump w/ 2.5" lines, Polaris 280 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP pump, Sta-Rite System 3 Vertical Grid 53 sqft DE filter, AquaLink RS6 P&S w/ 52 pin Rev K.33 controller, Rainbow offline tri-chlor erosion feeder, 450 KBTU/hr Rheme gas-fired heater, Dallas climate, 10/kwh current electric rate, energy monitoring system at http://www.welserver.com/WEL0043