Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My water feels sticky

1. Back To Top    #1

My water feels sticky

Ok so everybody in my circle of friends and family thinks I am crazy. The pool is sparkling blue. You can see a potato bug at the bottom of the 10ft deep end and it sparkles in the light... but I am convinced it feels sticky! When I get on my float instead of sliding across it, you stick. Chemicals are perfectly balanced. I was thinking this could be low PH but PH is 7.6. Calcium Hardness perhaps?? Borates?? How can I make my water feel silky?? Am I just nuts??
    Cleveland, Ohio
    IG 36,000 gallons. Vinyl Liner, Hayward ProGrid 3620 DE Filter, Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My water feels sticky

Can you post a full set of test results?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Some people add salt to their water to make it feel better. I did do that one year and I liked the results... on my list of things to do again this year.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I have salt @3200 ppm and borates @30 ppm and it's almost too soft and silky.
    25k gal Lazy-L, vinyl liner, poly walls, swimout spa, diving board, TurboTwister slide.
    Hayward 2HP 2-spd pump, Pentair 2HP spa pump, Hayward 30" 500lb sand filter.
    Goldline Pro Logic PS-8 automation/SWG. 2 LED ColorLogic 4.0. 8 Jandy deck jets. MX-8 cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

I dont have a full set of test results right now. I am at work... How would I add salt? I do not have a SWG as this is a chlorine pool. Add salt to the skimmer? I have a water softener so I am very familiar with that.
    Cleveland, Ohio
    IG 36,000 gallons. Vinyl Liner, Hayward ProGrid 3620 DE Filter, Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Gas Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Just dump it in the pool and stir it around a little with your pool brush. You should get some salt strips to you do not put too much in.

Here is an earlier thread...... can-you-add-salt-t6006.html
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

7. Back To Top    #7

Can it be added to the skimmer? I purchase salt for my softener all the time but it comes in big pellets... about the size of a ping pong ball squished to an oval... I wouldnt want to just add those to my pool. I have never seen small crystals.
    Cleveland, Ohio

8. Back To Top    #8

Best added directly to the pool water... it will fall to the floor and dissolve in a few hours. I bought mine at the home depot, it was in a blue bag and relatively inexpensive.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

The pellets are fine, you just need to make sure that they don't have any additives (like anti-rust ingredients, etc). They will dissolve very quickly, especially if you swim and kick them around, which is kind of fun anyway. They are cold as they dissolve, so swimming with them is an interesting experience.

Honestly though, it sounds to me like your water and your floats are "squeaky clean". Slick and slimy is bad.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

10. Back To Top    #10

You could use a pool net to get the sticks out
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

11. Back To Top    #11

A little late, I know but..

When I had to add additional salt to my pool, I had the kids (teenagers) go swimming to help stir it up. I did tell them NOT to open their eyes under water that day just to avoid geting any salt crystals in their eyes. Within an hour or two, it appeared to all be dissolved.
    18x36 Vinyl IG ~27,000 gal, Intelliflo VF Pump, 300# Sand Filter, Polaris 280 w/Pentair Booster Pump, Pentair EasyTouch w/ IC40 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir