Can I treat a chlorine demand problem with BBB method.

Jul 12, 2011
I am having big problems with chlorine demand this year.

My local pool store ran the demand test and told me I needed 15LBS of shock to cure it.

They said to add 5 lbs every 3 hours, and to actually add 18lbs to make sure we fixed the problem.

So I followed their instruction to the letter adding 5 lbs every three hours. The next day in the evening all chlorine readings were 0.

I went though this same process two times and I still have a chlorine reading of 0. Needless to say after almost $200 of shock over two week without resolution I am a little put off.

Right now I am leaning towards draining and refilling the pool, since I know that will solve my problem.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

My local store does my tests they use alex.

I have never been happy and always knew I was buying too much Crud I probably didn't need. But I have never been mad enough to do it myself. Time has always been a problem for me and to learn something new really doesn't fit into my schedule.

So to answer your question I don't own a test kit, I have always just used test strips and a monthly run to the pool store.

Which kind of kit should I buy and where should I get it?

There is a test kit offered by a member here called the TF-100. It is what most of us use and is highly recommended, there is also a Taylor kit available... most importantly, the kit must contain an FAS/DPD test for FC since we shock at a higher level than most kits can test. The price of the kit may seem a little high compared to what is available in the local stores (most are inadequate), but it really is the ONE thing, besides knowledge (Pool School) that will put YOU in control of your pool and not at the mercy of pool stores. Here is the link for the kit. http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

I went through one season not knowing what the heck I was doing and since I came here, I've never looked back.

get a test kit as mentioned above, post your numbers in the bbb forum and you will be helped. I did it for the first time last year and couldn't be happier. Two things I want to tell you so that you know you are on the right track with BBB: First, I have only shocked when opening, so once last year and once this year, and second, I went to the pool store the other day to buy CYA, the pool owner asks me, as soon as I walk in, if I had algae problems because a lot of his clients had algae issue with the amount of rain we had several weeks ago. My response, nope, (but I felt like saying, nope, but then again, I'm not your client!). :party:

Sorry if this is a little long winded, but I want to convey that BBB works, no matter what the pool store will tell you. It might take a couple of weeks to get the hang of it, but you will be happy. I'm living proof!

I won't harp on the test kit becuase it's been covered above. What I will tell you is that, with good numbers chlorine will solve your problem. You will have to be willing and able to devote enough time learning and applying what you learn to fix this problem.

Hi rfranta, Welcome to TFP!
This forum saved my pool! :) It would have gone to the garbage if I had another season like last year...
Spent more $$ at the pool store than the pool cost brand new! :evil:
I wanted to learn water chemistry and found this forum when searching about water chemistry! :-D
All I did was read for a week and knew that I have to give it a shot, (kids were crying all the time to go swimming/couldn't because I had it all screwed up from going to the pool store).

Ordered my TF-100 XL kit and posted my test #'s here and got a LOT of help I didn't expect!
I red pool school daily, followed the directions there, asked questions here when I didn't understand and now I'm very grateful I did!
The pool is always perfect now and we get to go swimming anytime we want to and my pool is a Trouble Free Pool.
Also my pool looks better than both of my neighbors pools that use a pool service! :goodjob:
The time invested to learn my pool water from the wonderful people that support this forum has now instilled me to come and give back. :wave:
I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis!

Read here: pool-school/read_before_you_post

Chuck

Attachments

• Pool on 6-22-11 003 resize.jpg
    Pool on 6-22-11 003 resize.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 86
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.