New Pool full of GREEN ALGAE?!?!

OK, well in your case (as opposed to what I replied in another thread yesterday) you will not want to clean the filter for a while or you'll loose the CYA that hasn't dissolved yet. The granules don't dissolve very well or fast when you add CYA this way, so leave the pump running full time so the CYA can dissolve completely.

In the future, put the CYA into a sock, rubber band the top and tie off to the ladder or in front of the return. Then you can squish it frequently till it's all gone, it will dissolve nicely (quickly) this way.

You can test for everything except CYA within about a half hour or so after adding chemicals. CYA may not register on a test for a week so don't bother with that yet. You know what you added, go ahead and use that number for now. Dose your pool w/chlorine (now, and till you start the SWG) according to the ppm level of CYA that you know you added. Use the standard minimum/target/shock numbers from the calculator until your SWG is fully operational.

How much did you add btw? What ppm were you aiming for?

I was going to put it in a sock but the bottle said to pour it into the skimmer basket.

The water balance for swg guide says cya should be at 70-80 so we added what came out to be 5 cups of granules.
FC should be 3-5
pH 7.5-7.8
salt 200-400 ppm above recommended optimum level.

I haven't added the salt yet. I'm not sure if I can yet. My goal is to get it running by Friday so we can swim this weekend. Is it ok at this point to add the salt and if I do add the salt, do I continue to add the bleach in the meantime until the swg is running?

Thanks for you advice btw : ) It is much appreciated.

Yes, until you have the SWG running and can see that it's producing chlorine you'll want to dose the pool yourself with bleach every day according to the CYA level that you have added.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but until your SWG is functional and/or you add salt, I believe you should use the non SWG chlorine:CYA levels.

Add the salt 24 hours before you plan to start the SWG and then let chlorine go down to 4ppm for SWG startup.

I don't use a swg but if you dosed the stabilizer from a chart to get a cya of 70-80, don't let your FC go below 8 or 9ppm (non swg target levels) until everything is up and running. Then adjust your FC as needed for swg start up. If chlorine goes lower than target, even for a day, you could loose everything you've done so far. Run pump 24/7 until all tests are stabilized and listen to the guru's. :) They'll keep you on the right path.

We just tested the FC and it is still high. The test only goes to 5 but it is super yellow so we didn't lose anything during the day like we did yesterday which is when we added the stabilizer. So - if I'm understanding correctly - we keep the FC levels high around 8-9, add the salt and let it dissolve for 24 hours, then once the salt is dissolved kick the swg on keep the pump running 24/7 until tests level out to swg start up? I think I got it...

Use the "chlorine drop test" (FAS/DPD) in your TF100 kit to test FC levels over 5ppm. Don't let it go below 9ppm (since you think it's 70-80) until you can get an accurate cya reading. If you've been running the pump 24/7 you may try the cya test to see where it is. It's possible it's mostly dissolved. Keep in mind it could go higher in a few days so don't make adjustments to the cya yet. Be sure to use the cya/chlorine chart and don't let the FC go below min until you start the SWG.
Someone else will chime in on the SWG start up procedure.
Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.