Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Word is Out

1. Back To Top    #1

Word is Out

My local Walmart has been completely out of 182oz. jugs my last few trips. Spoke with an asst. manager and he said there's been a run on bleach the past couple of months -- didn't know why. BBB the culprit? Been forced to buy the smaller jugs which is a pain. Is regular Clorox ok to use?
    28k gallon in-ground vinyl. Sand filter. Hayward pump. Manual chlorination.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Word is Out

Any regular household bleach is fine... be sure to check the label and make sure the concentration is at least 6%... I don't get to Walmart too much so I buy the ShopRite store brand, the Kmart Smart Sense (usually a good buy) and Chlorox when cheaper brands aren't available.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Is regular Clorox ok to use?
    Yes, regular Clorox is excellent to use!

BTW, folks, my Kroger ad has that buy-10-and-get-$5-off deal thru tomorrow.

So, if your Kroger has some 96oz. regular Clorox, it ends up about $1.29 each.

Good luck!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. Unfortunately, I'm in CT where nothing is ever on sale. Hopefully Walmart will starting stocking again.
    28k gallon in-ground vinyl. Sand filter. Hayward pump. Manual chlorination.

5. Back To Top    #5

There wouldn't happen to be a Costco near you would there?

6. Back To Top    #6

Gosh dang it!!! I Knew this day would come!!!

If you have an Aldi's nearby you can use their 96oz. Tundra brand @ $0.99 a bottle (6%), but YMMV !!!
    14,600g / 24ft. Round Above Ground with Solar Cover
    18" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump running 10am - 8pm
    Full Sun (when we get sun ... LOL): Approx. 10am to 7pm
    Using the Trouble Free Method, and loving it!! Arrrrrrrr!!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

I love Aldi - the best deal around for bleach, cheaper than Wally World or Sam's Club.

I wanted to add salt to my pool and checked at Aldi - they have salt pellets for water softeners, but don't list the ingredients - are they safe to use?
    27 foot AG vinyl pool (17100 gallon) - Sand Dollar Filter 1.5 hp 2 speed pump
    TFTestkit

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

The salt pellets usually have a cleaning agent for the water softeners which shouldn't be used in the pool.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I saw on one of those "super coupon people" shows. You can call up a store and request an item in bulk to be in stock so you don't end up clearing their shelves. That could be helpful if you want to buy multiple jugs.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

10. Back To Top    #10

go to local pool store and get 12.5% chlorine, why would anyone want to mess with 6%?... tons of jugs to deal with and recycle seems fun and cool at first but will wear off trust me when you open your eyes to 12.5% chlorine
    18ft 52in deep doughboy 8000 gallons
    22 in sand filter
    1 1/2 pump
    tk-2006 test kit that rocks!
    12.5% chlorine
    aqua critter vac

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye
    go to local pool store and get 12.5% chlorine, why would anyone want to mess with 6%?... tons of jugs to deal with and recycle seems fun and cool at first but will wear off trust me when you open your eyes to 12.5% chlorine

Very true, however 10 or 12% is not readily avail. in some states
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

12. Back To Top    #12

Where exactly is that local store selling 12.5% in Southern Indiana? I'd be there in a heart beat.

10% is all you can find here and it is about 50% higher than 6%. $5 a gallon at a local pool supply place or Walmart, makes it run about 39 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite compared to about 23 cents per ounce for GV bleach.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

13. Back To Top    #13

It's interesting to see how much things vary by location. In a Boston suburb, the 12.5% is not only available just up the street but it's also half the price of bleach after adjusting for concentration.
    20k gallon IGP
    Plaster over gunite
    3/4 hp Hayward pump
    Purex Triton DE filter
    TF100 test kit w/ speedstir

14. Back To Top    #14

Shoprite still has the 96oz jugs on sale 10 for $10 if you have one in your area.
    Nicole

21' AGP (10,400g)
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix dual-speed 1HP pump, 75 sq ft Waterway cartridge filter
    4G Liquidator, Aquabot POOL ROVER S2-40

15. Back To Top    #15

$6.25/gallon at the one pool store here that sells it. Cheaper to buy 6% at walmart or target for $2.54 for 182 oz.
    The dollar store sells 96 oz. bottles for $1, but they were out of them yesterday. Also, even though they get new shipments in weekly, I wonder how long it has set out elsewhere, didn't smell very strong!
    17,500 gallon 18x36 gunite pool
    Hayward super II 1.5 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter
    Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG 35K, Raypak R6350TI-E HeatPump
    Solar cover, Loop Lok winter Cover
    Artisian Antigua hot tub, Polk Atrium 4's

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by gullzway

$6.25/gallon at the one pool store here that sells it. Cheaper to buy 6% at walmart or target for $2.54 for 182 oz.
    The dollar store sells 96 oz. bottles for $1, but they were out of them yesterday. Also, even though they get new shipments in weekly, I wonder how long it has set out elsewhere, didn't smell very strong!
    Gullzway I saw this bleach at my Dollar Store for $1.00 but was reluctant to buy it. There was no percentage on the bottle. I even tried googling it with no luck. It was under the name of Home Brand Bleach.
    29,000 gallon irregularly shaped in ground pool. Plaster. DE Filter. 1 hp pump. Pool approximately 10 years old. Polaris 380 robotic cleaner. Middletown, Delaware.

17. Back To Top    #17

True. The jugs stack up quick. I can get a four-gallon case of 12.5 for $14. For some reason it seems to (proportionate to equal dosages of 6%) "hang" longer on my FC tests.

The WallyWorld 10% stuff was terrible for the money I thought.

Our WallyWorld also has the bare-shelf syndrome on large Great Value bleach.
    * 18' x 33' - 48" oval AGP - new liner Summer 2014
    * Hayward Pro Series S210T Top Mount Sand Filter
    * Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1 1/2 hp Pump Model SP5615
    (equipment on posts prior to summer 2014) Hayward PowerFlo 1 hp pump - Jacuzzi "Tidewater" 190L, sand filter

18. Back To Top    #18

Just checked my local Nammco. I can get 5 gallons of 12.5% for $16.00 a jug after a $6.00 deposit. It would seem to me to equal 10 large jugs of Great Value Walmart bleach in price. Plus less jugs to worry about.
    29,000 gallon irregularly shaped in ground pool. Plaster. DE Filter. 1 hp pump. Pool approximately 10 years old. Polaris 380 robotic cleaner. Middletown, Delaware.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Beamup
    It's interesting to see how much things vary by location. In a Boston suburb, the 12.5% is not only available just up the street but it's also half the price of bleach after adjusting for concentration.
    Noticed the same thing!!
    15 X 30 X 3.6 Ester williams AGP
    10,800 gallons
    Haywood EC40C90 DE filter 1 HP pump
    TF-100 Test Kit