Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is running the filter and heater better at night?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is running the filter and heater better at night?

i was talking recently about this with someone. we have the filter/heater on a timer and set to come on late morning and shut off around 9 pm or so. our property has too many trees so direct sun on the pool is really only from about noon to 5 pm. we use a solar fish, not a cover. the other person was saying that since you would lose more heat overnight , that it would be better to run everything at night and let nature take it's course during the day. we have a 20 x 40 inground pool. does this make sense?
    thanks,
    dave

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is running the filter and heater better at night?

What kind of heater do you have? Solar / gas / heat pump?
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by no-mas
    What kind of heater do you have? Solar / gas / heat pump?
    we have a gas powered heater and a de filter with an inline chrlorinator.

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't think it really makes that much of a difference for a gas heater. Yes, you lose heat at night, but you'll lose more heat from a warm pool than a cool pool. I've never had a gas heater, but my understanding is that they heat up pretty quickly - so if it were me, I'd heat only before I knew I was using the pool
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)