Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Evaporator raising PH too high.

1. Back To Top    #1

Evaporator raising PH too high.

Hello everyone, I tried a search for the answer, but no such luck. So, I'm hoping someone knows the answer. Since using the BBB method, my water sparkles, so no issues there. I try to keep my PH around 7.4 and ALK at 100-110, I've had no issues doing either, and I know that agitating the water will raise the PH, but how in the world do you find a happy balance between cooling your pool and not sending the PH through the roof. Just checked my pool and the ALK was 110 and the PH 8.0, I added MA twice in the last month to lower my PH and ALK a bit......what's the deal here? Thanks in advance if anyone has the answer, Marc
    10,000 Gallon 12x26 EZ Panel, Vinyl Liner, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Power Flo LX Pump (70 GPM), SM2300T Hayward Sand Filter, BBB Method....nuff said!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Evaporator raising PH too high.

Keep your pH higher and your TA lower. Try about 7.6 to 7.7 for the pH and about 60 ppm for the alkalinity. What is your calcium hardness, cyanuric acid and water temperature?

3. Back To Top    #3

Adding acid twice or more a week is common with a lot of pools, so you really aren't having a problem compared to what some people deal with.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Twice last month? Pfft, I add acid with each chlorine addition. Until recently, when TA finally got to 70 after some trichlor tabs for a while.

Work on lowering that TA, see Pool School.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    Keep your pH higher and your TA lower. Try about 7.6 to 7.7 for the pH and about 60 ppm for the alkalinity. What is your calcium hardness, cyanuric acid and water temperature?
    Couldn't tell you what my calcium is, I have a vinyl pool and have never checked it, CYA is at 40 and water temp is 83. It generally goes up 6 degrees a day, but the evaporator usually brings it down 6 degrees overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Adding acid twice or more a week is common with a lot of pools, so you really aren't having a problem compared to what some people deal with.
    that's good to know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    Twice last month? Pfft, I add acid with each chlorine addition. Until recently, when TA finally got to 70 after some trichlor tabs for a while.

never had this problem last year, I think I added MA once all season, but PH is up there this year for some reason. Reading Pool School and the inside of my TF-100 test kit, it says to keep my TA between 100-120, so is the PH more important in the proper range than the Alk?
    10,000 Gallon 12x26 EZ Panel, Vinyl Liner, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Power Flo LX Pump (70 GPM), SM2300T Hayward Sand Filter, BBB Method....nuff said!

6. Back To Top    #6

For vinyl, you don't need calcium. I was just checking in case it was high. If it were high, then you might need to adjust the pH to prevent scaling.

The recommended level for the TA is 70 to 90 for a vinyl pool using bleach. You should lower the TA. Increasing the cyanuric acid to 50 would also help.

Since you're using an evaporator, you will need to constantly add water. If your tap water has a high TA, then that would contribute to the pH rise.

Did you use the evaporator last year?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona

Ditto.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    Since you're using an evaporator, you will need to constantly add water. If your tap water has a high TA, then that would contribute to the pH rise.

Did you use the evaporator last year?

Yes I used the evaporator last year, and don't recall having this issue with having to lower TA and PH. I'm on a well, so I don't add water often I let Mother Nature do it for me, but it's been blistering hot here this week with little rain, so I'll probably be sticking the hose in there soon. I lose a little water from it blowing out when the evaporators running.