Connecting a Hayward ecostar to a prologic controller

Jul 12, 2011
Has anyone connected a hayward ecostar variable speed pump to prologic controller PS 8.
I just installed the pump (plumbed and has power.) PS - 8 will turn it on. But need to wire it for controls so I can set the speed for the filter, pool sweep, and solar extend. No instruction came with Ecostar.

Plaster - swg - solar - polaris pool sweep - Sacramento CA

You need to wire a communications wire between the pump and the automation system. Instructions are in section 4.3 of the pump manual.

You should wire the pump directly to the breaker, it should not be turned on and off by the pump relay.

I have connected my VSP to a PS-8. I used a 4-wire telephone cable for the connection (only need 3 of the wires). The PL system recognized the pump automatically and it is working quite well. I did run into a minor issue. If you have the Chlorinator, the flow switch (by default) can be used to shut off the pump, if no flow is detected for 15 minutes. I had programmed my pump for 25% power for most of the day, but that apparently was not enough to keep the flow switch active, so the system would shut the pump down until the next scheduled timer. Increasing the power to 30% was enough to trip the flow switch.

Thank you all for the help. I have now found the manual on line and connected as per diagram 4.3, although it doesnt show which wire goes from 2,3, and 4 on the controller to 1,7, and 8 on the ecostar. Hope it doesn't matter. I have two errors though, chlornator off low temp and check system pool bridge comm. I have solar extend on so pump shows running at 100%. Pool temp is 84 solar set at 88, pool chlorinator set at 30%, solar temp 114, cell temp sensor 88 and air sensor 90. Axillary pump for polaris running but pool sweep appears to be stopping and starting same with solar.

Salt level is high reading at 4000. Pool supply store reading 3800.
Pool is clear Chlorine and PH in range.
PB 4 Booster for Polaris
Prologic PS - 8 Controller
Aqua Logic SWG

System is about 6 years old except new Ecostar Variable speed Pump.

Main software revision 2.66
Display software RFRem-08 r 2.00 S:48
RF Base Software r1.20 ID:5d83

Thanks Sean - I kind of figured it did but I couldn't find it anywhere so I had breaker off in case. I have corrected the wires as specified found the wiring config in section 4.3 of manual - must have been there the whole time :). Still have check system pool bridge comm error. But no longer have Low Temp error message - I suppose removing and replacing the SWG cable into the access panel may have corrected the SWG concern.

Double checked the wiring, power to breaker, control wiring matches diagram, Pump timers off. Pump reset to default settings and went back through setup. Still have error. PS - 8 set to variable speed. Any suggestions?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.