Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA of 80ppm with SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

Los Angeles, CA

CYA of 80ppm with SWG?

I'm preparing to install a Hayward Aqua Rite Pro SWG. In reading through the instructions though, it says that the CYA needs to be at 80ppm. So instead of the usual 2 1/2 pounds my pool requires, I'll need to use 10 pounds of the stuff. 10 POUNDS?!?! Given the expense of CYA, how does maintaining 80ppm save me money over maintaining 20ppm with liquid chlorine? Also, does the higher CYA mean that there's more cyanide in the pool? How is it that the higher ppm doesn't pose a great exposure to cyanide?

Thanks for the help, I'm just trying to understand what exactly I'll be exposing my family to.
    18,000 IGP, Pentair VS+SVRS, Pentair 4000 DE, 4x12 Fafco solar panels w/GL-235 controller, Hayward Aqua Rite Pro w/T-Cell 15, Hayward Tiger Shark QC, Guardian pool fence.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: CYA of 80ppm with SWG?

Cyanuric acid and cyanide are not the same thing. There is absolutely no cyanide exposure danger in a pool!!!!

Having CYA @ 80 means that the chlorine generated by the unit will last much longer since it is that much better protected from the sun. While CYA can be a bit pricey, what you're doing is extending the life of the SWG cell (which is pricier!!).

Had a chance to read through Pool School yet?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: CYA of 80ppm with SWG?

Just remember that you don't want to raise the CYA level all the way to 80 in one go. It is easy to raise CYA, but difficult to lower it if you go too high, so aim for 3/4 of the way there, wait a week, test the CYA level again and adjust from there.

You usually only need to raise CYA once at the start of the swim season. It then saves you chlorine every day all year.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School