Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP!!! New pool owner not sure what to do...

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP!!! New pool owner not sure what to do...

I am embarrassed to even ask this. I need to know how to properly backwash my sand filter.

Here is what I have been doing:

1. Turn off pump.
    2. Turn multiport to "backwash". Turn pump back on and run for 2-3 mins.
    3. Turn pump back off and turn multiport to "rinse".
    4. Turn pump off again and turn multiport to "filter".

Hubby and I are wondering if we've missed something. I am posting pics of the setup at the pump/filter. We just bought the pool in May and got about 10 mins of instruction on how to work everything. Needless to say, we didn't learn anything from that.

Can anyone please, please help me make sure I am backwashing correctly?

Also, we have never vaccuumed to waste since we haven't had an algae problem until now... can someone please tell me how to do that correctly? We have the standard manual vaccuum that we connect through the skimmer.

Thanks so much for your time and advice. I really, really appreciate it!
    [attachment=0:3dri2kmd]DSC_0065.jpg[/attachment:3dri2kmd][attachment=1:3dri2kmd]DSC_0064.jpg[/attachment:3dri2kmd][attachment=2:3dri2kmd]DSC_0063.jpg[/attachment:3dri2kmd]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pool Size: 20' x 40'
    Pool Type: Inground, Vinyl Liner
    Pump: Pentair Super Flo, 1HP
    Filter: Tagleus Sand Filter, Model TA60 (325 lb.)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP!!! New pool owner not sure what to do...

sound like your doing it right,iam not a expert but thats how i been doing mine for years,if u go to waste u will lose water from the skimmer box, sometimes i vacum mine stright out through waste when it or there is alot of debrie on bottom but not to often because u loose water and chemical u put in pool. but iam shore a more seasonal expert can help.
    24' AGP sandstone,12,000 gal , cricupool rj30 SWG,fas-dpd test kit. BBB

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like you're doing it right! Vacuuming to waste just involves shutting off the pump, hooking up the vacuum and turning the valve to waste, then starting up the pump up again and going! The water and gunk will will come out your backwash hose. Keep an eye on the water level, since vacuuming to waste will lower it pretty quickly.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Ideally you should be watching the water coming out while you are backwashing and continuing to backwash until the water turns clear, which is often 2-3 minutes, but can be longer. There is usually a sight glass or a section of transparent pipe that lets you see how murky the backwash water is.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the middle picture (0064) Lower left of the pressure gauge is a clear sight glass. That's the waste line and it's the one you watch to see the backwash water. You can tell when it clears up by looking at it while backwashing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Where does the open pipe go? You may want to stick a cap on it.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

The open pipe is so we can add an automatic vacuum, I believe. I'll have to ask hubby when he gets home to be sure, though...

The battle of the algae is coming along nicely... I am starting to see a lot of white stuff on the bottom of the pool and the water is changing from green swamp to cloudy blue. I am thinking I need to vaccuum tonight. The water level is right where it should be, and I have read that vaccuming to waste will cause the water to drop quickly. Should I add water prior to vaccuming?

Thanks for all the advice and help. It means a lot to a newbie like me.
    Pool Size: 20' x 40'
    Pool Type: Inground, Vinyl Liner
    Pump: Pentair Super Flo, 1HP
    Filter: Tagleus Sand Filter, Model TA60 (325 lb.)