Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding DE on a skimmerless pool, Intex Easy Set

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding DE on a skimmerless pool, Intex Easy Set

Mods,
    If this belongs in a different category, I apologize, please move it if so.

Seeing as I do not have a proper skimmer, I added 1lb of DE to the pump basket, in a newly installed Hayward EC30/40GPM system. My pressure had been at 12lbs and went up to 15lbs where it has remained for the last 2 hours.
    My plan was to add 1lb an hour, total 3lbs. Have I done wrong, or am I ok adding DE through the pump basket? Is there a better way to add the DE given my type of pool?
    Thanks!
    15' x 42" Intex Easy Set Blue Blob AGP, 3100gal, Intex SWCG Titanium
    Hayward EC-30 DE/40GPM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding DE on a skimmerless pool, Intex Easy Set

That will work, though it is a little tedious. What kind of suction port do you have?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! Wasn't sure it was going to ruin the pump or filter.

The suction port is the stock one that came with the pool. A small little plastic strainer. It does not feel like it is sucking anywhere near the force it is returning water to the pool. Is that normal?

Do you think swapping a bigger strainer would make a difference? I do see a funky looking hang over the edge basket skimmer
    made for these inflatable ring pools. Mr. Pool Store says they work well and happens to have one in stock.
    15' x 42" Intex Easy Set Blue Blob AGP, 3100gal, Intex SWCG Titanium
    Hayward EC-30 DE/40GPM

4. Back To Top    #4

I installed the funky strainer on my Intex, and it does work pretty well. Still have to screen the pool, especially after lawn mowing, but it definitely cuts down the time!

5. Back To Top    #5

If all you have is an open hole....why not go buy a flexible long funnel at the auto parts store, or a hardware store? Premix the DE in a bucket, and pour it in through the funnel. As long as the funnel isn't totally sealing the inlet and you pour slow enough, it shouldn't suck air nor start spilling into the pool.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!