Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: is there a "BEST" solar cover color?

1. Back To Top    #1

is there a "BEST" solar cover color?

black, blue, clear and two tone. Is there a best color to actually keep the water warmer? I am leaning towards a clear cover since we then could see the pool lit up with the lights at night.

what considerations are the knowledgable members here using to pick their solar covers?
    The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there.

24' x 52" Intex ultra frame pool (12,400 gallons) with seperate Intex 2500gph pump and SWG and 2 Intex magnetic pool lights.
    Looking to upgrade to 27-30' semi inground install

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: is there a "BEST" solar cover color?

I've used a blue one the past 2 years.
    Both of them got ruined. One due to a deer, and the other due to stupidity on my part for leaving it folded in the sun.
    After doing some research I thought I would try a clear one.

I can tell you the water has heated up much quicker with it during the day, since It actually allows the suns ray's to get through into the water. And like any other solar cover it holds the heat over night.
    I've left it off the past couple of days since weather here has been miserable.

We bought ours from Sam's club. Seemed to be a nice heavy duty cover, for a good price.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Don't expect a cover to last all that long, regardless of their claims. They often fail after a year or two regardless, so I recommend getting an inexpensive one.

Clear covers have small advantages for solar heating, since they let more light into the water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the replies
    The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there.

24' x 52" Intex ultra frame pool (12,400 gallons) with seperate Intex 2500gph pump and SWG and 2 Intex magnetic pool lights.
    Looking to upgrade to 27-30' semi inground install