Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Here need help on Cinder Block pools

1. Back To Top    #1

New Here need help on Cinder Block pools

I'm new to the forum. We're doing a DIY inground next year and are determining the construction method for the project. I've done a bit of research and am leaning to cinder block construciton. I would prefer no liner but don't know how realisitc it is. We have two dogs and I don't want to worry about damage. We live in Northern Ontario where winter temps can reach -40. I would love to hear from people who have been there and done it and who could offer some advice.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Here need help on Cinder Block pools

We have a few members around here who have built them...Duraleigh (concrete block w/ vinyl liner)and solarboy (used blocks to form then poured walls) come to mind. Hopefully they'll see this and stop by.

Welcome to TFP!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Also, you will need a "liner" of some kind (vinyl, plaster, etc) to keep water in the pool. Concrete by itself is not watertight.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the response. I thought I might have options beyond a liner. I've acid stained my concrete floors and sealed them so I thought I might have that option if I can find the proper sealer for the water.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi! I'm brand new here too. We are also planning on doing our own cinder block pool next year. I hope to get to know you better.
    Stephanie and Jerry
    DIY concrete block 25 x 50 vinyl pool, now hired out to finish, build in progress, cover star auto cover, 3 laminar deck jets, Inter Fab G force slide
    My Build~~~ http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...(lots-of-pics)

6. Back To Top    #6

I would be surprised if simply sealing it would work. Even it it did, the roughness of the surface would be hard on your feet and the little holes would be perpetually full of dirt.

I think a standard vinyl pool would work the best in your situation. A thicker liner would help with the dogs.

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!

Agree with MITS. You are going to need a liner. Concrete sealant isn't enough to make the concrete impervious to water for any amount of time under that type of pressure.

8. Back To Top    #8

Does anyone know what they apply to public pools? In our area they are poured concrete. They are sprayed/treated with something to make it work with no liner. It must be some kind of rubberised sealant.
    Our house is ICF to the roof, considering ICF block too. It will depend on the $. I sealed my acid stained concrete floors with the same stuff they put on basket ball courts. Worked beautifully. I haven't given up yet.......... sometimes you have to look at what's not obvious or typically used in the industry.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by hugshome
    Does anyone know what they apply to public pools? In our area they are poured concrete. They are sprayed/treated with something to make it work with no liner. It must be some kind of rubberised sealant.
    Our house is ICF to the roof, considering ICF block too. It will depend on the $. I sealed my acid stained concrete floors with the same stuff they put on basket ball courts. Worked beautifully. I haven't given up yet.......... sometimes you have to look at what's not obvious or typically used in the industry.
    It is usually plaster. If the suface feels tacky or rubbery, they have probably sprayed or applied something over the plaster.