Adding bleach at night, pump turned off.

Lando

Jun 1, 2011
Florida
I have my pool timer set to operate during day. I usually test water samples and add bleach as needed at night (after work), but my pool pump has turned off at that point. Am I doing any additional damage by not circulating it. Should I run my pump for an hour at night just to get the added bleach circulating? Curious on people thoughts.

Yes, you can cause some minor damage (plaster is more resilient than vinyl which would be at much greater risk). You are also failing to get the chlorine well mixed into the water until the pump next comes on, and so missing out on some of it's effectiveness.

You should have the pump running when you add chlorine and for at least 30 minutes afterwards.

jetermiler said:
If my pool is 45,000 gallons how much househole (Clorox) bleach should I add???

The Pool Calculator will be your new best friend. Get familiar with it. You will love it.

I run my filter mainly at night, with a few on cycles during the day when the polaris and waterfall run to keep chlorine circulated. It helps keep the pool cooler I think.

Edit again -- If you will brush with a Wall Whale pool brush, that moves enough water to do a very good job of circulating chems. Then you could leave the timer as it is. Some mechanical timers are not so easy to reset.

Re: Can you use regular household bleach???

Yes. Regular unscented. Cups Quarts Gallons Jugs..... you have to calculate that based on your pool and some test data. Do you have FC, CC, TC, CYA, TA, CH, pool size, surface. We will probably want to learn why you need to shock before you start dumping stuff in your pool.

See Pool School, Pool Calculator. Be sure to check back with data and questions before you add it, we'll be here.

Yes, regular bleach, without any scents or other special features is just fine. Bleach is sodium hypochlorite, the same chemical used in many commercial pools.

The amount of bleach you need to use depends on your CYA level. You can use the Pool Calculator to make calculations like this one once you know your CYA level.

It's a 45,000 gallon plaster/concrete pool..

TH (total hardness) 250PPM
TC (total chlorine) .5PPM
FC (free chlorine) .5 PPM
pH 7.4
TA (total alkalinity) 80PPM
CYA (cyanuric acid) 30-50 PPM

Is this the info u needed????

Thanks so much!!!

With CYA around 40, shock level is an FC of 20.

In 45,000 gallons, to raise FC by 20 you need to add 15 gallons of regular 6% bleach.

Remember that shocking is a process, not a one time event, so that needs to be followed up as described in Pool School.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.