Need Some Advice (Cloudy Pool, not Algae)

May 14, 2011
Pool was fine, crystal clear yesterday. Woke up this morning and it is cloudy, not green or black or yellow, almost looks like some of the chemical particulates have seperated from the water. Took a sample in to our local store and this is the read outs that I was given. The girls suggested 2kg of Trol and to shock tonight. I am running my Hayward Chlorinator dialed to about 1 - 1.5. The girl at the store told me to turn it off completely but I am not sure why. She mentioned that my stabilizer was low.

Pool is 70,000 liters, 18,500 Gallons. I am very anal about testing my water and making sure I keep everything in check since my 2 girls and my wife are in it almost everyday. It is a concrete pool that was converted to plaster about 5 years ago.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Free Chlorine 0
Total Chlorine 0
Combined Chlorine 0
PH 7.6
Harness 260 ppm
Alkalinity 99 ppm
Cyanuric Acid 70 ppm

Welcome to TFP!

With 0ppm FC, it is probably the beginning of algae. You need to raise your chlorine level to shock level quickly and hold it there to keep from losing the pool to a full blown algae bloom. Cloudiness is often the first sign of algae.

Read Chlorine CYA Chart and Shocking Your Pool for information on shocking.

JohnT said:
Welcome to TFP!

With 0ppm FC, it is probably the beginning of algae. You need to raise your chlorine level to shock level quickly and hold it there to keep from losing the pool to a full blown algae bloom. Cloudiness is often the first sign of algae.

I plan on shocking tonight, but I don't understand when you say I need to raise my chlorine to shock level? Also, with my chlorinator running (with pucks in it), how could my chlorine level drop to 0?

"Cloudiness is often the first sign of algae."

I've got a serious algae problem in my pool after being out of town for only 4 days and after reading through lots and lots of other posts RE: Algae, I think the cloudiness I had in my pool a few weeks ago was a sign of algae to come... I didn't shock correctly (I had no idea what I was doing, just was told to add 4 scoops of cal-hypo to my pool) and it cleared up for the week, but then clouded again... etc... I am rambling, but my point is that I wish I would've known to shock correctly back when all I had was cloudy water... I probably wouldn't have a green pool today I had...

These guys/gals on here know what they are talking about, that's for sure!!

Sloan55 said:
JohnT said:
Welcome to TFP!

I plan on shocking tonight, but I don't understand when you say I need to raise my chlorine to shock level? Also, with my chlorinator running (with pucks in it), how could my chlorine level drop to 0?

Read the links I put in my first reply. They contain both the chart to determine your shock level and instructions on shocking. For CYA at 70ppm, your shock level is 28ppm chlorine.

When algae starts, it begins consuming chlorine more rapidly than the feeder can supply it. At 70ppm CYA level, your chlorine level needs to be at or above 5ppm at all times. Even a few hours with chlorine below that level can allow algae to get started. Then your chlorinator will never catch up.

Tablet feeders are fairly unreliable and have a tendency to get clogged over time, which reduces their flow and slows down chlorine introduction to the pool.

Chlorine to 28 ppm as above, clean the skimmers, brush the pool, and keep the filter running to catch all the dead and dying algae.

Use liquid chlorine, not cal-hypo shock or dichlor shock or any fancy expensive potions from the pool store. All you need is chlorine and filtration.

And no more pucks in the feeder unless you are willing to drain the pool in a few more weeks to get CYA down to a more managable 40-50.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.