Fine Powdery Mist When Brushing

Jun 8, 2011
Ridgefield, CT
Every morning when I brush the flooor of my pool, I get a fine powdery mist that quickly dissipates. It is much more prevalent in the deep end of the pool, which is more shaded in late afternoon, although I will get some powdery mist in the shallow end as well. However, the powder does not seem to result in any cloudiness. I try to brush it toward my floor drain, but I seem to have it every morning.

I thought this could be dead algae, but I wasn't sure. It seems to be there even on mornings the day after I vacuum.

The only chemicals I have been adding to my pool over the past two weeks are chlorx bleach. Before that, I had added calcium hypo and soda ash. But I haven't added either of those since June.

yossarian said:
Every morning when I brush the flooor of my pool, I get a fine powdery mist that quickly dissipates. It is much more prevalent in the deep end of the pool, which is more shaded in late afternoon, although I will get some powdery mist in the shallow end as well. However, the powder does not seem to result in any cloudiness. I try to brush it toward my floor drain, but I seem to have it every morning.

I thought this could be dead algae, but I wasn't sure. It seems to be there even on mornings the day after I vacuum.

The only chemicals I have been adding to my pool over the past two weeks are chlorx bleach. Before that, I had added calcium hypo and soda ash. But I haven't added either of those since June.

What color is it? does it look like sand in the bottom of the pool?

If it is sandy in color...or looks like sand and it dissapates as quickly as it does...doesn't cloud up the pool or turn pool green, than it is more than likely tree pollen that collects on the bottom of the pool. I have one of the sparkliest pools out there. I check my chlorine every day...I make sure it is balanced twice to three times per week...yet I have this sandy stuff that gathers in the divots and creases in my liner. Rest assured if this is the case and your numbers all in line you have nothing to worry about except that your pool will always look this way...especially if you have trees...This year has been especially bad...as tree pollen has been out of this world this summer. Just keep doing what you are doing. I wish there was something else I can say. We have not found a way of curing this, only controlling it...When you vacuume the pool put a skimmer sock on the skimmer basket or where ever you attach your vacuume hose to...and see if that helps...Mine usually looks like a drier lint filter when I am done.

I have the same problem in my Salt water vinyl pool. We had some major rainfall a month ago (4-5 inches overnight) and muddy water dumped in my pool. After several days it began to clear up. Now my water is clear, but there is a powdery substance usually where the water returns to the pool at both ends. I have brushed every day and backwashed the sand filter many times over the last 4 weeks. All of my tests are normal using the TF-100 test kit. I am going to Leslie's Pool store tomorrow to buy the DE powder to filter out the smallest of particles. I hope this will do the trick.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.