Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Market Umbrella Suggestions

1. Back To Top    #1

Market Umbrella Suggestions

Does anyone have suggestions as to where to get a decent market umbrella to use with a Telescope table? The local patio shops want at least $300 + stand. I am not convinced I will get longevity to warrant that price.
    33,000 gallon plaster pool
    Jandy L-Series -CL580 Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Market Umbrella Suggestions

It is a little late in the season down here in Texas; most stores are clearing out their summer stuff and putting in back-to-school displays <sic!>.

I find that patio stores are always higher-priced. I go cheap. I go to Walmart or Academy Sports for nice wooden-poled market umbrella for well under $100. I don't think they have Academy Sports in CT, but whatever your equivalent is. I once found a nice heavy umbrella base at a "World Market" store for $20. Also, the wooden-poled umbrellas fit perfectly in a standard volleyball pole receptable on the edge of your coping. This gives me some nice shade on the water when it starts baking down here in Texas.

It may not be a problem in CT, but I would have a hard time finding this "seasonal" merchandise at big-box retailers this time of year. I would probably have to buy on-line and pay shipping, or go to the afore-mentioned, higher-priced patio stores. Good luck.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a 10ft crank with tilt that is on it's 4th summer. I bought it from Bed Bath and Beyond for $99 plus I used the 20% coupon so it was only about $80. This time of year though inventories are light around NJ. I'd check Sam's club, Lowes or Bed Bath for a closeout.
    Currently Pooless

Former Pool:Buster Crabbe resin and steel 30'x15' oval 52" ABG pool Pentair sand dollar filter 1.5 Pentair Dynamo pump13,500 gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Market Umbrella Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by melissab
    I have a 10ft crank with tilt that is on it's 4th summer. I bought it from Bed Bath and Beyond for $99 plus I used the 20% coupon so it was only about $80. This time of year though inventories are light around NJ. I'd check Sam's club, Lowes or Bed Bath for a closeout.
    I have this one too and we love it! Just be sure to close it when you're done. The base is plenty heavy for average use but would take off like a kite in any wind. It casts great shade!
    29,100gal, sand filter, IG, vinyl

5. Back To Top    #5

Sam's had nice ones this summer. They had Sunbrella material which tends to last longer.
    IG 23K Gal, Quad DE 80, PebbleSheen, Intelliflo VS+SVRS, MT 400 NG, Stenner Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Try Lowes. The one here has some pretty nice ones for $80, and they do a 30 day price match garuntee. If they reduce the price within 30 days they refund you the difference. We saved a lot with that deal on patio furniture a few years ago.
    Ken & Shari
    Savannah, GA
    16' x 40' freeform fiberglass inground (Pacific model, mfg by Tallman Pools), 23k gal, 2" plumbing throughout, Intellichlor IC-40, Easy Touch controller, Intelliflow VS 3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Quad Cartridge filter. 4 Jandy deck jets (3/4" plumbing), Fiberstars color changing lighting, SR Smith salt friendly diving system, Interfab Wild Ride slide, Aquasol Solar Heat (5 panels 4'x12' DIY install automated with ET) RIP Nitro Wall Climber Mar 2011-Aug 2012, Nitro is survived by a Polaris 360.

7. Back To Top    #7

I've bought the expensive ones and don't regret it. The ribs that support the fabric are much more robust, and they have lasted longer than the cheap ones I had before. Sunbrella is the brand name, but any solution-dyed fabric should last much longer before fading.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    I've bought the expensive ones and don't regret it. The ribs that support the fabric are much more robust, and they have lasted longer than the cheap ones I had before. Sunbrella is the brand name, but any solution-dyed fabric should last much longer before fading.
    Funny you say that. My mother left me a message last night that there was a decent price on a Sunbrella one she saw (around $200). That is about 2X the other umbrellas, but if it lasts longer and is more duarable, it might be worth it.

9. Back To Top    #9

Take a look at the construction of the frame. The ribs on the cheap ones are rectangular tubing about 1/2" by 3/4". If the umbrella falls over, those will bend and it's trashed. Look for something more substantial. Sunbrella is just the fabric that's put on it; lots of different umbrella manufacturers use it.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

10. Back To Top    #10

We have a few from academy they were 30$, crank with auto tilt. Great buy and durable metal pole and frame. Only issue I have is that I did not buy more!
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Take a look at the construction of the frame. The ribs on the cheap ones are rectangular tubing about 1/2" by 3/4". If the umbrella falls over, those will bend and it's trashed. Look for something more substantial. Sunbrella is just the fabric that's put on it; lots of different umbrella manufacturers use it.
    Any thoughts on this? It gets good reviews and it has a crank lift/steel cable, which should be pretty durable. I am inclined to go with aluminium as opposed to wood as I think maintenance will be easier.

http://www.patioumbrellas.com/patio-umb ... brella.cfm

12. Back To Top    #12

That one looks good.

It also looks very similar to the ones we got at Sam's for $99, which we love.
    40K Gallon gunite chlorine diving pool with spa, Blue Granite finish
    Jandy Watercolors LED lights (2 pool, 1 spa)
    Jandy equipment with RS8 controller
    Borates added in the form of Borax and Acid.
    Prosper Texas

13. Back To Top    #13

Do you have a Garden Ridge in your area? They have some nice inexpensive patio stuff.
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Over here in San Diego, Costco has a once/year summer sale that nearly always includes what appears to be solid strong large market umbrellas ($100-$150 price range if I remember correctly.) We bought one and it worked nicely for 2 years and then fell over, cracked something important, and we had to throw the entire thing away....grr.
    24K gallon inground gunite/pebble sheen pool, 34'x16' 4-7.5ft deep, 750sq ft solar, pentair ultratemp, intelliflow vs+, ic60, intellichem w/ acid pump, quad de 100, intellibright 5g, intellitouch i5-3s with Screenlogic2, 3" primary piping - 2.5" at equip pad, auto switched deep heating and main returns, automatic safety cover w/ electronic lock and embedded recessed undertrack, sealed stamped concrete deck, dolphin deluxe 5, started up December 2011.

15. Back To Top    #15

The absolute best umbrellas that I have found are made by fiber built. They have fiberglass ribs that bend and can stand winds over 40 mph. I use a 9 foot patio umbrella on the beach and besides replacing the string last month it is still going strong after 8 years. I never got more than about 2 seasons out of an umbrella before that. I bought the sunbrella fabric one but you can get them with a lesser fabric for under $200. A 7.5 foot one is $150. This is one time where you get what you pay for...
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir