Salt Loss

lynns

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2010
New Jersey
How much salt loss is normal? I know that is a hard question to answer. The pool is used only about 3 times a week (no kids splashing). Last year I didn't have to add salt at all but this year it seems to be lowering about 100ppm per week and I have to add some.

lynns said:
I get the reading from the SWCG. We do not have autofill.

I'd consider an alternative test method to double check the SWCG reading. Other things can influence their readings and they often give strange readings.

How old is the cell? It would also be good to do a visual inspection of the cell to see if there is any white crusty buildup on the cell. Older cells start to read the salt level as lower than it actually is when they are starting to fail due to old age. Also calcium buildup on the cell plates can cause it to mis-read the salt level.

I'll try using the strips to check the salt. This is the second summer for the cell (and pool). The "inspect cell" light had come on recently but I read in the manual that it comes on automatically after 3 months.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.