Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to choose a quality hose clamp

1. Back To Top    #1

How to choose a quality hose clamp

I recently replaced my above ground heater and everything was great for a couple of weeks. Then I get a call from the missus. The hose came off the outlet and drained the pool. So I went home and reattached, making sure the hose clamp was good and tight. Fast forward a few weeks and now the heater isn't running. Turned out the filter was clogged, no big deal. But as I am standing there testing it the hose flies off, deluging me with water (much to the amusement of the kids). I check it out, and I can finger tighten the clamps (I put two on both sides). So I crank 'em on again, going as tight as I dare. To be safe I checked the inlet side. These clamps will not tighten, and instead 'click' which tells me from experience the clamp is broken where the gears grip.

I heard from a plumbing friend that not all hose clamps are created equal, and I have to make sure I get the good ones. So how does one assure a heavy duty hose clamp? They all look the same to me.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to choose a quality hose clamp

Buy the Banjo super clamps or an equivalent and you'll never have to worry again. These are typically available at Ag stores where they sell sprayers, etc.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.