Brown/Black spots and brown stains

AGT

Jun 29, 2011
Hello again-

I have checked my levels with strips and showing basic normal levels except FC is low. Leslies said 1000 phosphates, slightly high PH and low FC so I dumped 8 bottles of bleach and my last lb of shock. Now FC is only 2-3ppm and stains still there. The dark brown spots are nickel to dime size and come off with a pumice scrubbing. Black algae? My other concern is those brown faded stains. They are on the walls and the floor and I thought maybe the high PH. Suggestions?

I should have searched 1st. The brown/black spots I will try to remove with the trichlor. The brown stains I am not sure of. The look like a coffee stain on the wall or floor of my plaster pool

Can you post a full set of test results?

Forget about the phosphates. They are a non-issue in a properly chlorinated pool.

Are the brown/black spots round? Black algae spots are round and BA usually occurs in a pool that has been 'let go' for a period of time.

A pic of the stains would be helpful. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pour it directly into the pool in front of a return. Wear eye protection, try not to suck in the fumes. I do not recommend people mix acid and water before adding, because some people will do it in reverse order. Adding water to acid can be dangerous.

AGT said:
and I just add it to water from the pool in a bucket. then test after an hour?
Have you never used muriatic acid?

You should wear eye protectors, at least some sunglasses, and don't get downwind of the muriatic acid.

Wait 30 minutes between adding MA and bleach. They do not play well together.

Also, do not store the MA near chlorine products. Preferably store it outside, out of the sun. I keep mine under the deck behind a pillar - all by itself.

Never add water to acid, ALWAYS add acid to water. So, yes, you will measure the MA (preferable in a plastic container) and then slowly pour it into the pool in front of a return. Test in about an hour is fine. If any gets on your skin make sure you do a good rinsing.

If any spills on decking or anything else, give it a good rinsing, too.

I'm sure some members will chime in with their MA garb :wink:

RobbieH types fast and has great info :wink:

Thank you both. I appreciate it. I have never used Muriatic but have used chemicals and will definitely be careful. I have let my chlorine levels slide down to nothing so I should be good there. Thank you for the storage info too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.