I have been trying to clear my pool for over a week, since 7/2. Here is my timeline:
1) Came home from a week vacation on the 1st. Water was clear but there was a lot of tree gunk and some green on the bottom.
2) The next morning, I tested the water. FC=3.5, CC=0, CYA=25.
3) The water level was high because it rained, so I vacuumed to "waste" (yes with a cart filter), brushed, added enough CYA to get me up to about 45-50, and bumped the FC up to 20.
4) Changed out the pump to my new 2-speed Hayward.
5) Had the pump running on low for a couple days, FC was reading 24 but the pool was getting greener, so I turned the pump on high. That's when I had this comedy of errors.
6) Got all that worked out. So, now I am thinking that my R-0870 powder is no good (it is 2yrs old and gray) and that I am not getting a proper FC reading, so I order a fresh batch and dump a gallon of 12.5% liquid CL. I decide I will add a gallon every day until I get the fresh reagent.
7) Got the new reagent on Saturday (thanks Dave for the quick shipping! ) and decided to test with both of them. I tested FC=24 with the old reagent and FC= 27.5 with the new reagent. Tested my CYA again and it was 45. But the pool was still cloudy and green.
8) Added another gallon of 12.5%. Retested about 30 minutes later and it read FC=44.5. (Puzzled as to how it got that high when I am using 12.5% in a 10Kgal pool?)
9) Sunday morning around 9am, it was blue, but cloudy.
10) Sunday night, still cloudy, but blue.
11) This morning, a little clearer, but still cloudy and blue.
I have no idea why it is not clearing. Normally, a small algae bloom like the one I started with would clear in 2 days. I have been fighting this battle for over a week and it is still not clear.
The FC is ridiculously high, my CYA is reading normal and I have a brand new pump. And, when I took the filter out to clean it thinking that might be the problem, it was barely dirty. It was tinged slightly green on one side.
Can anyone shed some light on this because I am baffled?