Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No free chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

No free chlorine

Need assistance with a no free chlorine issue.I,ve done everything leslies told me to do even drain off half my water for ammonia.My gallons are 29,000 so half of that is 14.500 its getting expensive.My phosphates are 2500 plus i had an ammonia test and im good on that but i lose my free chlorine in about a hours time I did the nightime chlorine loss test and i still lost the free almost within an hour.Should i try the bleach?Isaw something somewhere about keeping bleach in until it kicked in and held free chlorine.I just need to know how much to add or what level of free chlorine i keep it at.
    33' round 54" deep vinyl hayward sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No free chlorine

Do you have the capability of doing your own testing? If not, can you post the results of the last test you had to include the level of CYA in your pool. What is the appearance of your water now? Answering the above questions will help is assisting you.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Post us a full set of your test numbers so we can help, including CYA level. Read shocking your pool in pool school and also see the chlorine/cya chart there. Play with the pool calculator there and consider ordering one of the test kits recommended. Welcome.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum! Definately read the pool school, especially shocking. Chlorine doesn't need to "kick in", if it is gone within an hour at night that means there is something in the water that it is killing. It could be ammonia but even so proper shocking will take care of it. A water change was probably not needed.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

fac-0,tac-1,ph7.4,ta-80 cya-60,tds-1200 phosphates 2500+ this was leslies pool supply test but i have the chemical test kit .my water is crystal clear
    33' round 54" deep vinyl hayward sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Your Total Chlorine of 1 indicates that you have organics in your pool and need to shock. There is a button labeled Pool School at the top right of the page, you will find the procedure for shocking your pool there. Keep in mind that it is a process and not a one-time addition of bleach. You need to get to your shock level and keep it there until you can pass an overnight chlorine loss test. Your shock level is determined by the level of CYA in your pool. In Pool School, there is a Chlorine/CYA chart and it will give you the levels you need for maintaining and also to shock. Then you need to look at the pool calculator... plug in the capacity of your pool and then you can put in the appropriate boxes, where you are now and where you want to be (target) and the calculator will tell you how much you need to add. If you have any problems using it, post back and someone will help you.

I have a 27' round pool that seems big... yours must be HUGE!!! Welcome to the Forum.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Your pool is slighlty larger than mine and I agree that you are going to need to shock the pool. I would make sure you have one of the recommended test kits and have that on hand before you start the shocking process. You are going to need to get your pool up to shock levels and hold it there until you pass the overnight test. This will mean testing your FC levels every hour at first and then at lest a few times a day. Thats a lot of running to the pool store if you dont have a test kit. Make sure you have at least a few cases of bleach on hand.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

CYA of 60 after a 50% water change? May I ask, are you using pucks to chlorinate?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits