Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick question Re: pre-dissolving Cal-Hypo

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick question Re: pre-dissolving Cal-Hypo

How long does it take to dissolve Cal-Hypo in a 5 gallon bucket of water? I've never done it before. According to Pool Calculator I will be dissolving a little over 2lbs. Thanks in advance for your reply (ies)!!
    14,600g / 24ft. Round Above Ground with Solar Cover
    18" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump running 10am - 8pm
    Full Sun (when we get sun ... LOL): Approx. 10am to 7pm
    Using the Trouble Free Method, and loving it!! Arrrrrrrr!!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quick question Re: pre-dissolving Cal-Hypo

I'd try swirling then dumping water off, repeat as needed. I don't predissolve, I dump in the shallow end and brush to the deep end.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

It dissolves fairly easily, and if there is anything left that didn't dissolve after you pour most of it into the pool, then just add some more water and it will dissolve.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Half pound per bucket, filled with very hot water. Stir until dissolved, approx 2 minutes from experience. Repeat 4 times.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have some cal-hypo that i bought before i bought into BBB method. And by "some" I meant 90 lbs

my calcium is low and my fill water is extremely soft so after careful calculation i concluded that i could use all of it of the course of two seasons.

i tried to pre-dissolve it in the bucket and it didn't seem to make much difference. for a while i would pour the slurry in front of the returns and it seemed to work ok. but then i noticed a white very fine residue on the pool floor. i switched back to bleach and it stopped so it seems that it was due to cal-hypo.

i read around here that it's ok to add cal-hypo directly to the skimmer. i tried with the slurry and with dry granules. both ways seem to be about the same. so for now i'm simply adding dry cal-hypo slowly into a skimmer.

it drives pressure 2psi on the filter right away, but then it slowly falls back. i assume i'm capturing all the stuff from cal-hypo that doesn't dissolve in the filter and would have to back wash more often because of that.
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

6. Back To Top    #6

What % active chlorine content? I use the 75% stuff up here, never seen residue.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by CaOCl2
    What % active chlorine content? I use the 75% stuff up here, never seen residue.
    48% it was the best bang for the buck even after adjusting for low %-age, but i'm paying for it in a different way now.
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

8. Back To Top    #8

Yup, that may be where the problem is, lots of inert ingredients in those mixes.

9. Back To Top    #9

Wow, thanks guys and gals for the replies, totally helpful. I need to pre-dissolve Cal-Hypo because I want to increase my FC to shock levele just before I leave for vacation on Friday. I really didn't want to get up at 4 am if I didn't have to! LOL!! I have an ABG with a solar cover in place that morning so I really didn't think that dispersing that much around the circle, without pre-dissolving, would be nice. Now I know that I can at least sleep 'til 5:30am, and can get the pool in order, car packed, and on the road by 7am. Thanks a bunch!!!!
    14,600g / 24ft. Round Above Ground with Solar Cover
    18" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump running 10am - 8pm
    Full Sun (when we get sun ... LOL): Approx. 10am to 7pm
    Using the Trouble Free Method, and loving it!! Arrrrrrrr!!!!