Quick question Re: pre-dissolving Cal-Hypo

I have some cal-hypo that i bought before i bought into BBB method. And by "some" I meant 90 lbs :)

my calcium is low and my fill water is extremely soft so after careful calculation i concluded that i could use all of it of the course of two seasons.

i tried to pre-dissolve it in the bucket and it didn't seem to make much difference. for a while i would pour the slurry in front of the returns and it seemed to work ok. but then i noticed a white very fine residue on the pool floor. i switched back to bleach and it stopped so it seems that it was due to cal-hypo.

i read around here that it's ok to add cal-hypo directly to the skimmer. i tried with the slurry and with dry granules. both ways seem to be about the same. so for now i'm simply adding dry cal-hypo slowly into a skimmer.

it drives pressure 2psi on the filter right away, but then it slowly falls back. i assume i'm capturing all the stuff from cal-hypo that doesn't dissolve in the filter and would have to back wash more often because of that.

Wow, thanks guys and gals for the replies, totally helpful. I need to pre-dissolve Cal-Hypo because I want to increase my FC to shock levele just before I leave for vacation on Friday. I really didn't want to get up at 4 am if I didn't have to! LOL!! I have an ABG with a solar cover in place that morning so I really didn't think that dispersing that much around the circle, without pre-dissolving, would be nice. Now I know that I can at least sleep 'til 5:30am, and can get the pool in order, car packed, and on the road by 7am. Thanks a bunch!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.