Please Help Me -- Green Pool

Jul 11, 2011
South Carolina
We just got our pool this spring. Up until now, it seemed like everything was going well... We left Thursday for a short trip to visit my mom and returned yesterday (Sunday) to a disgusting green swamp. I am so upset. :( I have no idea how to fix this.

The first thing we did was to add shock - cal-hypo - about 4 pounds I think. Nothing happened. Then I read on here to add bleach. So we did that, too. 4 large jugs from Lowes. Still, nothing. :cry:

I am worried that I have added too much chlorine and that I am going to ruin my pool. :cry: I am frustrated because I feel like I am unable to figure this out.

I tested the water again this morning, but we only have test strips... I ordered the Taylor test kit last night.

Here are my numbers as of a few hours ago...
Total Hardness: 250
Total Chlorine: 10 (strip max)
Free Chlorine: 10 (strip max)
pH: 7.2
Alkalinity: about 120
CYA: 40

We have a 20x40 inground grecian style pool with a vinyl liner. Hayward sand filter and 1HP pump.

I guess my biggest question is how much more bleach do I need to add and how long will it take for the algae to turn from green to white like I've read about in other posts? I really, really appreciate any advice/help since I am completely clueless.

Thanks! :-D

Patience is what you need now. Read Pool school on how to shock your pool, and follow those directions. You also need to learn to use the Pool Calculator. While waiting on your kit, every time the TC gets below 10 raise it back to shock level for your CYA. You can find what that is by loking at the Chlorine/CYA chart in Pool School. Keep the pump running 24 hours a day until you pass the OCLT.

You won't be able to finish shocking until you get the good kit, but you should be able to make progress until then.

You won't be able to read the chlorine at your shock level using strips. You can cheat by diluting with half dialed water but that doubles the inaccuracy of strips.

As you read Pool School, focus on Test Kits Compared, and order online or try to find locally a kit that will accurately test high values of chlorine. I have TF100.

I ordered the Taylor kit that was recommended in Pool School. It should be here by Thursday/Friday.

Should I just hang tight until the kit arrives this week or continue to pour bleach into the pool, not knowing what my actual FC reading is? I've been reading Pool School and it seems like I am stuck where I am until my kit arrives and I know what my levels actually are.

I've been adding bleach throughout the day...

The shallow end is slowly turning from a green color to a cloudy blue color... I am thinking this is a sign of progress??
The deep is still greenish/brownish...

I'm considering going to WalMart later and buying one of those cheaper test kits because I am so impatient. Not sure if I should, though. Any thoughts?

Yes, that is a sign of progress. I would continue to add bleach just to keep fighting what you have until you're test kit comes. It really won't do you any good to buy the cheaper test kit. It still won't meaure what you need to measure. With a CYA level of 40, you're shock level needs to be 16. If your chlorine level is 0 then it takes 3 gallon and 2 qts (2.5) big jugs to get you to that level, the secret is to maintain that level by testing every hour and adding more bleach to stay at that number.

I've added a total of 35 jugs of bleach today. :eek: The FC level on my test strip is reading 10, which is the max. I diluted the pool water with distilled water 1:1 and got a reading of 10 again. So, I diluted it 3:1 and got a reading of about 8.

What should I do tonight? :oops: I am out of bleach, but could easily go out and get some if I need to.

I have a large bucket of granulated dichlor that I wouldn't mind using up since I am determined to switch to the BBB method as soon as I get my pool back to clear and sparkling... My CYA is measuring right around 40. Would adding the dichlor be a bad idea?

Thanks so much to everyone who has taken time to answer today... I have gone from feeling completely overwhelmed this morning to feeling like over time I will conquer this algae and get my pool to truly be "trouble free"...

I'm attaching a picture to show where I was as of this morning... Hopefully I'll be able to post an update tomorrow that will be less green!! :cool:

Attachments

• DSC_0062.jpg
    DSC_0062.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 316
I am worried that if you exceed mustard algae shock level you may damage the liner. Very hard to be sure without good testing. Have you gotten any testing at pool stores? You could take a 2:1 and a 3:1 dilution and see what they say about CYA levels as that determines shock levels.

At CYA 40, MA shock is 24 so you are above that now. 3 parts distilled to one part pool, multiply by 4 is 32. Give or take 4 or 8ppm

Oh no! I am thinking that I added too much! I guess I am afraid of letting the algae grow before I can get my test kit and really nip it in the bud. I think I'll hold off adding anything else to the water. I'll test tomorrow am with the strip and see what it says. Will the pool shop test my water without me having to buy anything? The one I have gone to in the past is extremely pushy. They take the water sample and hand you back the results along with a pile of Crud to buy and no explanation. That's why I haven't been back and tried to do the chemicals on my own... which I am seeing now didn't work out...

Agghhhhh!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey neighbor! :wave:

It seems you have made some major progress today! :goodjob:

As Anona pointed out, too high FC level. Well, what you can do is wait for the FC to drop to 5ish and you can read/test it with the OTO test. Then, adjust back up to 16. That should keep you ahead of the algae. Especially don't miss a nightime shock level. Shocking works best at night since there is no competition for the chlorine from the sun.

Here's a comment by Jason on the colors of the OTO test with high chlorine levels. Maybe it will help:
The OTO test is normally used to measure TC levels between 0 and 5. You can, however, use this test to get a vague idea of extremely high TC levels. If the sample turns a particularly vivid yellow the TC level is between 5 and 15, light orange is between 10 and 20, dark orange is between 15 and 30, and brown is 30 or higher.

Time to go get some more bleach :) You're gonna need it to complete the job!

I suggest you save the dichlor for a time when your CYA is low or when you finish shocking and maybe want to up your CYA a bit.

Welcome to the forum :)

Yep, sounds like your chlorine is a bit high, but not catastrophically high. I wouldn't add any more for now, but having more bleach on hand would be a good idea. Until you get your test kit, I'd say try and keep your chlorine about 15-20, so just short of the "10" mark when you dilute 1:1. Keep watch on it for now; it may drop rather quickly, or it could take a day or so.

I wouldn't bother with the pool store.

Tested FC this morning with 1:1 dilution and registered 10, which I think would actually be 20, right? :?:

I can definitely see progress in the pool this morning. Headed out now to get some more bleach. :-D

I can't say enough how much your advice and support has helped me through this process already... :party:

Attachments

• DSC_0067.jpg
    DSC_0067.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 269
Okay, yesterday I was in tears about to give up on this pool of mine. :rant:

Luckily, I found this site and got some really solid advice.

I am SO proud of the progress that I've made on the pool since yesterday. :thequeen: I've tested the FC using the 1:1 dilution method (since my Taylor test kit is still a few days from arriving) and added bleach as needed today (I used the Pool Calc to determine how much... again, I am so proud of myself for figuring this out)...

I just finished vaccuming a ton of clumps of dead algae from the pool (vaccuumed to waste, thanks again for advice on my other thread) :p

I owe a HUGE thank you to everyone for being so kind and patient and explaining things so well for me. :lol:

I know my war against algae is not over, but I can't even explain how much better and more confident I feel today as compared to yesterday...

:party:

Attachments

• DSC_0068.jpg
    DSC_0068.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 230

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.