New Pool Owner - How many hours should I run my pump?

Jul 11, 2011
I just bought a house with a pool:
Inground pool
16 X 32 FT
AVG depth - 6ft
20000 gal?
DE filter
1 HP pump

So I have been running the pump 24/7 for about a week. I just opened the pool 5 days ago, after it being closed for 4years.
It was cleaned out and acid washed after that.

I have been back-washing the DE filter when the pressure gauge is above 18 as directed by the pool tech that did the acid washing.

So I have read that you can turn off the pump after you figure out how long the pump needs to run to turn over the water. So maybe after 12hrs of running?

Also can you turn off the pump if you have Chlorine tabs in the Skimmer basket?

Thanks

Re: New Pool Owner - How long to run pump?

You can't have tablets in the skimmer basket unless the pump is running 24/7. They will need to be in a floater or a tablet dispenser.

Aside from the tablet issue, running the pump less than 24/7 is just fine. How long you need to run the pump is difficult to predict exactly, every pool is different. I would start out at 8 hours a day, and see if you can shorten it from there. There is an article in Pool School and figuring out your ideal pump run time.

Re: New Pool Owner - How long to run pump?

JasonLion said:
You can't have tablets in the skimmer basket unless the pump is running 24/7. They will need to be in a floater or a tablet dispenser.

Aside from the tablet issue, running the pump less than 24/7 is just fine. How long you need to run the pump is difficult to predict exactly, every pool is different. I would start out at 8 hours a day, and see if you can shorten it from there. There is an article in Pool School and figuring out your ideal pump run time.

If I don't have my chol tabs in skimmer but in an inline cholinator, can the pump be turned off part of the time? It seems my tabs disappear afer 3 days so I'm not sure the cholinator is working properly. My levels are either OK or slightly low but never out of whack.

I would guess between 8 to 12 hours.

I just converted from a single speed to a variable speed and love it. I also added a SWG, but right now run the pump at like 1500 rpm and it only draws 150 watts, and will run chlorine tabs in my skimmer until I turn on the SWG in about 2 1/2 weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.