Need help with levels

Jun 29, 2010
Gulf Coast Texas
Received new SWG from Intex and now I can't get pool water good enough to swim in. At first the new SWG was reading High Salt so I drained about 2 inches of water and refilled and just as quick as it started looking good it became cloudy again I have added bleach and chlorine to shock and still cloudy. SWG now reads low salt, I am afraid to add more salt. What do I need to do? Summer vacation is half over and haven't been able to swim.

Salt 3.6
FC 0
Ph 8.4
TA 180
CYA 30-50

First, lower your pH to 7.2. Do that ASAP. Every time pH rises to 7.6, lower it back to 7.2 using muriatic acid. Over time, this will also lower your TA.

What is Salt 3.6? How much is that?

We need a more specific CYA #. How much CYA did you add to the pool?

Post a full set of test #'s that include FC & CC. We can help more with that.
If you do not have one of the recommended test kits yet, you can take a water sample to the pool store for testing.
Just don't buy anything yet - except maybe some liquid chlorine if the price is right.

If your pool is cloudy, it is probably from lack of chlorine and needs to be shocked.
We can confirm that with test results.

You do NOT need your SWG to shock and/or maintain your pool water chlorine demand.

Someone will be along to help with the SWG.

Lasagna, let's start with the filter. Is it dirty? Cloudy water is almost always dead algae and that will clog a filter fast. That impaired flow can mess with the sensors on a SWG.

Meanwhile, assuming you have done the pH adjustment, then toss some more chlorine in that pool.

With FC 0 that algae is going to come back to life with all this sunshine. We still need to know your CYA (stabilizer) in order to begin shocking. Without a proper shock, you are just treading water with the algae going from green to white to green. I hate those strips for CYA, I found that they read 30 ppm as zero and so I'd prefer you take a sample to a good pool store for a better read. As long as they don't use strips also.

The reason we need to know, and we don't want to guess, is that if you add too little chlorine to the pool, as you have seen, you never get the problem fixed, you just waste time and money. If you add too much (way too much) you could damage the pool. So, test, and then treat. But you need a trust worthy test. Not a guestimate, which is what those test strips become as you try to judge colors. (this looks 25% like burnt orange and 75% like plum)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.