My filter

spock

Jul 2, 2011
Hey there..i have noticed that my pool fliter runs fine...once a week i throw a bag of shock in it to maintain it...i have noticed that after i put the shock in....even while i am pouring it in slowly..i notice the psi jumps from 10-13 to about 20 psi....

I then bump the filter and it has been working fine..should i be worried..??

I have a hayward filter/pump for an above ground pool.

The model number for the pump is sp1580Z2

I have had it for 5 yrs..and the previous owner had it ..but i dont know for how long.../......

thanks to everyone for their help...

Welcome to the forum spock!

I wouldn't be too worried about the PSI, but if you are adding the shock to the skimmer you might want to change that. Best is slowly pour it slowly in front of the return so it quickly gets dilluted into the rest of the water.

On a related note, is there a specific reason you are putting a bag of shock weekly? And also if you could put in your signature some specs about your pool (size, pump, filter, chlorinating method) it will help the experts here to give you more accurate answers to questions when you have them.

Of course the pool stores and Internet retailers sell stuff called "shock". However, it's always granular chlorine plus something else. It's the something else that usually won't help and will likely cause more side-effect problems, (green hair,sky high CYA levels, etc,).

Chlorine does the job and we'd prefer to get that from liquid chlorine/bleach without getting anything else. Shocking is the process of bringing the FC level up to the point where any and all organics are killed and holding it there as long as necessary.

For discussion purposes on the forum, it is helpful if we make the distinction and refer to shock as the process. It is generally confusing if you refer equally to a product carrying the same name.

You can, of course, nit pik that if you like but it is not helpful to the new people who are trying to learn.

I understand that Dave, and I agree. I was just trying to find out more about the problem before I found out whether he was using cal-hypo or dichlor, since the answer to that could make for a whole other discussion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.