New to pool ownership, water help needed

Added 54 oz. of muriatic acid last night and ran the 3 waterfalls. This morning 7.2 pH, FAC 3, TAC 3. I am assuming TA went down a little too. Getting the CYA today. I think I will try to do the the acid and aerating at night, til I get TA to 90 and it might lower the water temp. I really appreciate the advice and support. THis is not too hard just have to know what to do when, and ask when you don't know.

Last night I added 63 oz. of stabilizer. The pumps and waterfalls are running. I am using the aqua chek test that just does pH and the strips for comparison. Today pH is 7.2, but the chlorine is above 5, has deeper gold, hint of brown in it, and the strip test shows FC at 10 and TC at 10. Also the strip shows TA 120 and CYA 80. I know the strips are not as accurate, but that is what I have available till I get a better kit with more tests. Otherwise, I have to go to Leslie's with a water sample.

So how did the chlorine go up so high and so fast. Now what, I haven't gotten in, but from the side I do not smell chlorine.

That's what I was thinking.Just wanted some confimation as I am new to this. Since I have set the pumps to stay on, and did not adjust the %s as I was afraid to 1. do it incorrectly, and 2. by doing one thing at a time, I know the effect of that one change. So now I am going to read changing %s and hopefully it will correct itself over several days. Thanks

I went to adjust the SWG &s and decided since I was running the motor and waterfalls all night again, that I would TURN OFF the SWG, test again in the morning and see where FC and TC is then. The pool water looks fine. Let me know if I goofed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, we know the SWG is off tonight to let the FC drop. Good.

So how did the chlorine go up so high and so fast. Now what, I haven't gotten in, but from the side I do not smell chlorine.
I agree with frogabog. Sounds like the SWG just needs to be dialed down and monitored until you find the happy spot to maintain your Target FC of about 4.

24 hours after you added your CYA, consider it 'in' your pool - just don't test for it for a week.
I think you will now have about 55 CYA, correct? Is that what you figured?

Your water was clear and sparkly the other day and I am assuming that is still the case, correct?

Then, jump in! You can safely swim in FC levels up to shock level, based on your CYA.

You didn't 'smell chlorine' because we don't smell chlorine in a properly chlorinated pool!
When and if you do smell that chlorine smell, it means CC's and you should test your FC/CC and see what's going on with your water.

If you have issues getting the SWG under control, you can start a new thread in the SWG forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.