Pump Run Time, Flow Meter, and High vs. Low speed. And PH

texasdad

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2011
DFW Metro
What is typical for water flow? I have a two speed pump and am trying to figure out ideal run times on high and on low? I'm looking at buying this flow meter (http://www.intheswim.com/Commercial-Pro ... ow-Meters/) but the meter only goes up to 140 gpm. Is that low for a maximum? Is there a better affordable flow meter that you would recommend?

After I know the flow rate are there guidelines for how much time the pump should be on High vs. on Low speed. My Ozone system does not run when the pump is on low. And the Polaris needs the pump to be on high plus the booster pump in order to run.

Also: What is the ideal PH for the pool? The pool school says 7.5 - 7.8, but the pool calculator defaults to 7.2 as the goal when TFP is selected on the bottom of the page?

THANKS

Re: Pump Run Time, Flow Meter, and High vs. Low speed. And

It is extremely unlikely that your flow rate is nearly as high as 140, very few people have a flow rate over 100. If anything I would worry about the low end of the range. Your pump on low might be as low as 30.

Using a flow meter is not the best way to figure out your correct pump run time. It is best to do that experimentally, see this Pool School article.

The normal PH range is 7.5 to 7.8. The PH value in the Target column of the Pool Calculator is whatever number you put in there. The goal appears right above that and will show 7.5-7.8 when set to TFP and 7.2-7.8 when set to traditional pool.

Re: Pump Run Time, Flow Meter, and High vs. Low speed. And

Thank You. I will experiment with run times.
Are there any guidlines for how much it should be on High vs. on Low? Half and Half? The PB had it set for Four hours on each.... As the water has warmed up I've added a few hours to the low so it runs 12 hours a day total now(4 and 8). I might keep it at 12 hours total but only 2 on high and 10 on low?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.