High Phosphates - but no algae - treat?

Mar 22, 2011
Austin, TX
Phosphates level is around 2200. Leslies is trying to push some phosphate control chemicals. Our pool was resurfaced in March this year and phosphate level has been increasing ever since. We have had no algae and the water is crystal clear. Should the phosphate level be controlled?

Latest analysis:
FC: 5
TC: 5
CYA: 45 (was using pucks in autochlorinator before I found this site in April :-D
TA: 80 (was 110 and has been slowing decreasing probably from consistently adding acid as surface cures and pH drifts up)
pH: 7.8 (usually keep around 7.4 but it drifts up)
TDS: 1250
CH: 300
Phosphates: 2200

Reactions: Back Yard Hack
Being in the industry, they couldn't find anything wrong with your water. So they go for the sure fire thing! The Phosphate test! That is usually a sure fire sale when al else fails! IMHO I'd invest the $$$ into some Borates for your pool.
True, with a Phos. level in excess of 2000, that is high, but wilth stable FC and CYA, you should be fine.
so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html

Phosphates are not an issue in a properly chlorinated pool. Don't add the pool store stuff.

Do a google search (bottom left on page) for phosphates and you will see that phosphates are virtually irrelevant. Phosphate remover is a good $$ maker for the pool store and not necessary in your pool.

Reactions: Chihuaha Verde
JamesW said:
It's important to remember that phosphates are measured in ppb (parts per billion), which is 1/1000th of ppm (parts per million). 2200 ppb of phosphates is only 2.2 ppm phosphates, and nothing to worry about.

This is nice to know. Thanks. I was told there is 1500 ppb (I guess) in our pool and I needed to buy phosphates remover.

Algae feeds off Phosphates. The pool stores rely on algaecides to control algae blooms in their customer's pools after their chlorine method becomes ineffective. After time the chlorine will go into "chlorine lock" because of climbing CYA levels and you will have to buy more chemicals because you've rendered your chlorine useless because the expert told you to.

Now, we're not locking our chlorine so we don't need to 2-part method for killing algae... starvation via phosphate remover and destruction via chlorine which breaks down the cell membranes of algae and literally explodes the cells. (I spent 7 years in the Biotechnology field)

If you have any questions feel free to Post or PM! Enjoy your trouble free pool!!

Reactions: Ignoramus
Leslie must love the phosphates.

They tested my water today. Phosphates were listed as "High" on the printout...a big 1000. They gave me the algae food line too.

I asked him where they came from and he said: Leaves, dirt and other material like that.

I still need to read about the borates...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's the reason i stay out of pool stores it is always a sales pitch to try and sell you something if they cant get you on something else there is always the old standby your phosphate's are high! As long as you have a proper test kit i don't see any need to ever have your water tested at a pool store ..at least i would always trust my own over the pool stores results..

LMAO!! I know this thread is old but it goes to show you the pool store regiment is still in place. I do BBB and am happy pool is "perfect" unless I slip a little . Once in a while I go get the H2O tested at the local "L" store just to be sure I have not drifted on my measurement (a validation if you will). So today was one such trip. After the dude finished he said wow your pool must look ok cuz your chemicals are perfect. I smiled and resisted the temptation to blurt out BBB and sprig into a diatribe on all the extraneous Crud they sell. :) .. then he said (out loud even) "But now I am going to test your phosphates because you might need control of then since you get some leaves once in a while" OMG!..... I just watched as he tested and came up with a whooping 200 ppb and said it should be under 100 ppb and that it could feed my algae. He never asked if I had algae!!.....I said thanks and I would research it. He countered with a pitch that people love it and it works so well and that he did not have a pool but if he did he would used it all the time." OMG I was rolling around on the floor in my head laughing .....

Just had to share this with y'all.....

FC:4, CC <.5, TC:4, CH 250, CYA:30, TA:119, PH:7.8Fe:0, Cu:0, Phos:200ppb

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.