Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High Phosphates - but no algae - treat?

1. Back To Top    #1

High Phosphates - but no algae - treat?

Phosphates level is around 2200. Leslies is trying to push some phosphate control chemicals. Our pool was resurfaced in March this year and phosphate level has been increasing ever since. We have had no algae and the water is crystal clear. Should the phosphate level be controlled?

Latest analysis:
    FC: 5
    TC: 5
    CYA: 45 (was using pucks in autochlorinator before I found this site in April
    TA: 80 (was 110 and has been slowing decreasing probably from consistently adding acid as surface cures and pH drifts up)
    pH: 7.8 (usually keep around 7.4 but it drifts up)
    TDS: 1250
    CH: 300
    Phosphates: 2200
    13,500 gal IG 3'-5', BBB (less Borates), Hayward DE filter, 400k BTU Hayward heater, 2HP A.O. Smith pump, 2 skimmers, Sunstone Pearl "Aqua Blue" surface, Colorsplash 3G light, Blue Diamond cleaner, A.O. Smith 6' slide, K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: High Phosphates - but no algae - treat?

Being in the industry, they couldn't find anything wrong with your water. So they go for the sure fire thing! The Phosphate test! That is usually a sure fire sale when al else fails! IMHO I'd invest the $$$ into some Borates for your pool.
    True, with a Phos. level in excess of 2000, that is high, but wilth stable FC and CYA, you should be fine.
    so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html
    14X28 inground Vinyl
    1HP Super II Pump
    200lb Sand filter
    Tri-chlor, bleach shock
    BBB

3. Back To Top    #3

Phosphates are not an issue in a properly chlorinated pool. Don't add the pool store stuff.

Do a google search (bottom left on page) for phosphates and you will see that phosphates are virtually irrelevant. Phosphate remover is a good $$ maker for the pool store and not necessary in your pool.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, I am planning to add Borates in the next several weeks. thx
    13,500 gal IG 3'-5', BBB (less Borates), Hayward DE filter, 400k BTU Hayward heater, 2HP A.O. Smith pump, 2 skimmers, Sunstone Pearl "Aqua Blue" surface, Colorsplash 3G light, Blue Diamond cleaner, A.O. Smith 6' slide, K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Last time I checked my Phosphates they were 3500+. My pool is perfect! Used to treat for them but I was just feeding the MAN! Don't worry about them.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

6. Back To Top    #6

It's important to remember that phosphates are measured in ppb (parts per billion), which is 1/1000th of ppm (parts per million). 2200 ppb of phosphates is only 2.2 ppm phosphates, and nothing to worry about.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    It's important to remember that phosphates are measured in ppb (parts per billion), which is 1/1000th of ppm (parts per million). 2200 ppb of phosphates is only 2.2 ppm phosphates, and nothing to worry about.
    This is nice to know. Thanks. I was told there is 1500 ppb (I guess) in our pool and I needed to buy phosphates remover.
    IG pebbletec pool: size of pool: 27,000 gal; filter: cartridge - Hayward Superstar Clear; pump size: 1.5 HP; TF 100 Test kit - got it on 7-29-10; The Pool Cleaner-4-wheel suction model; Pool calculator: http://www.poolcalculator.com/; bleach calc: http://troublefreepool.com/files/BleachCalc262.exe

8. Back To Top    #8

Algae feeds off Phosphates. The pool stores rely on algaecides to control algae blooms in their customer's pools after their chlorine method becomes ineffective. After time the chlorine will go into "chlorine lock" because of climbing CYA levels and you will have to buy more chemicals because you've rendered your chlorine useless because the expert told you to.

Now, we're not locking our chlorine so we don't need to 2-part method for killing algae... starvation via phosphate remover and destruction via chlorine which breaks down the cell membranes of algae and literally explodes the cells. (I spent 7 years in the Biotechnology field)

If you have any questions feel free to Post or PM! Enjoy your trouble free pool!!
    -Tom

17,000 gal plaster with spa. Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filters. Jandy systems with Aqualink RS and Polaris 360.

Pool Store free since May 2011!

9. Back To Top    #9

We don't like the term "chlorine lock", it is highly misleading. High CYA levels don't "lock" the chlorine, they just make it less effective. Killing algae at high CYA levels isn't impossible, just incredibly annoying.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Leslie must love the phosphates.

They tested my water today. Phosphates were listed as "High" on the printout...a big 1000. They gave me the algae food line too.

I asked him where they came from and he said: Leaves, dirt and other material like that.

I still need to read about the borates...
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...ca-t28413.html

11. Back To Top    #11

That's the reason i stay out of pool stores it is always a sales pitch to try and sell you something if they cant get you on something else there is always the old standby your phosphate's are high! As long as you have a proper test kit i don't see any need to ever have your water tested at a pool store ..at least i would always trust my own over the pool stores results..
    Steve Frakes
    15' X 48'' Intex Metal Frame
    Intex Sand Filter 16'' 2650 GPH
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    BBB and Borated

12. Back To Top    #12

LMAO!! I know this thread is old but it goes to show you the pool store regiment is still in place. I do BBB and am happy pool is "perfect" unless I slip a little . Once in a while I go get the H2O tested at the local "L" store just to be sure I have not drifted on my measurement (a validation if you will). So today was one such trip. After the dude finished he said wow your pool must look ok cuz your chemicals are perfect. I smiled and resisted the temptation to blurt out BBB and sprig into a diatribe on all the extraneous **** they sell. .. then he said (out loud even) "But now I am going to test your phosphates because you might need control of then since you get some leaves once in a while" OMG!..... I just watched as he tested and came up with a whooping 200 ppb and said it should be under 100 ppb and that it could feed my algae. He never asked if I had algae!!.....I said thanks and I would research it. He countered with a pitch that people love it and it works so well and that he did not have a pool but if he did he would used it all the time." OMG I was rolling around on the floor in my head laughing .....

Just had to share this with y'all.....

FC:4, CC <.5, TC:4, CH 250, CYA:30, TA:119, PH:7.8Fe:0, Cu:0, Phos:200ppb
    Gunite/plaster pool w/spa built 1983, 17,000 gal. (depth 3' x 6' x 3') (37' X 16' +spa, stairs & large in-pool bench seat). Arneson (now Hayward) pool vac (rebuilt 3 or 4 times over 30 years), 350k BTU (nat gas) XE heater (in need of a serious herbal cleansing lol), 2HP Marathon pump & filter basket, DE filter NSS-48, air pump for spa bubbles, one skimmer plus in-line filter Hayward CANISTER W560 to the pool vac. Re-plastered May 2013 reinforced quartz (Marbletite) Diamond Bright. Test kit: Taylor K-2006; Bleach