1St time testing water

I would test water now, not chlorine or CYA, should be zero. But you are interested in TA of fill water. That drives pH, up or down. If this was well water get tested for metals at pool store. And test pH.

If TA is low, increase to 50. Then re test pH.

Adjust pH to about 7.5 with muriatic acid. Mix 30 minutes.

Then start to add chlorine and stabilizer. I'd add stabilizer to get to 30ppm and chlorine to get to 3ppm. Mix 30 min.

Then if it was not too cold, I'd swim.

Hello,

I just tested the water and chlorine is 0 and ph is 7.2 using the Taylor K-1000. For CYA, I filled it up to the brim and I can still see the dot. For the alkalinity, it turned a light shade of red at the ninth drop. 10th drop and it turned a bit darker and on the 11th, it did not change change anymore. So is the TA at 90 or at 100? On the Calcium test, 18th drop turned a very light shade of blue. 19th drop it turned a bit more. so it it 180 or 190ppm? I don't know if my water has copper so I just followed the normal steps.

I wish I had that kind of fill water :rant: TA is 100 and CH around 190. Mine is around 300 and 330 repectively. You just need some CYA and chlorine and you are ready to go :goodjob:

Yup, nice fill water. Add CYA to get to 30 and get some of that dissolved, then chlorine to the top of the range in the pool calculator and you are good to swim aster chlorine is well mixed.

Is the CYA the stabilizer? I have a kool kit and it does not contain any CYA or stabilizer. It just have the "kool kit with zinc". I cut the small nipple at both ends of the kool styx with zinc and placed it on the skimmer. This is the chlorine, right? It also has some plastic bags that has "S.W.A.T." that I am supposed to add once a week.

Berserk,

You need to read Pool School. Starting at the top, there are some basic articles that will describe the chemistry and help you get a better understanding of pool water chemistry. Do not throw items into your pool unless you know the purpose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.