Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Having pool party.....questions!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Having pool party.....questions!!

Hi,

we are having our first pool party in a few hours....Right now FC is 5. We are expecting approx. 20 kids age 14. How much bleach should I add to last the whole party? Party is from 2 pm to 7 pm. (if that matters)

Thanks in advance!!!!!
    15x30x54 AquaLeader Sentinelle AGP
    2 HP 2 Speed Hayward SwimPro Voyager Pump
    Hayward SwimPro Voyager 150 sq. ft. Filter
    Hayward H series millivolt 150 btu Heater
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Having pool party.....questions!!

If you normally hold the pool at 5.....adding another 2-3 ppm should be good. Then readjust FC level when the party is over. See the poolcalculator in pool school for your volume and how much to add. Half gallon or so is my guess. Can you post a set of test numbers?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Results on 7/04 were

FC 3.5
    CC 0
    pH 7.5
    TA 60
    CYA 40-50

I plan on running all tests after party tonight or tomorrow.

Would it be okay to get FC up to around 10-12?
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

You can swim at under shock level but no need to go that high, IMO. Just to top of normal range, or maybe 1 - 2 higher. If you are worried, test mid-party and pull kids out for popsicles while you add and circulate bleach.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Your shock level is somewhere between 15 & 20, so your 11 or 12 is fine.

Definitely check pH and FC after the party/tonight!

Anona's comment to check mid-party is a great idea
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks everyone!! One more question though, Do I have to shock after party?
    TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Only shock is your testing tells you to. Now I want a popsicle dangit!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

Maybe. I'll bet pool is dull at best. I'd raise to shock level overnight, let the pool have a day to discharge CCs, then decide.
    Maybe then do OCLT the next night, if loss noted, do a proper shock. Call me lazy.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks!!
    TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Oh my goodess - 20 teenagers is a lot lot lot! I'd shock tonight, too.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Just interested, I'm having a similar party this weekend, except the kids are adults and the popsicles are beer. How did your levels hold up? What did you do?
    Taylor FAS DPD test kit. 30k gal salt in-ground plaster pool. CircuPool RJ45. Cartridge Filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Formula27
    Just interested, I'm having a similar party this weekend, except the kids are adults and the popsicles are beer. How did your levels hold up? What did you do?
    I acutally had kids and adults recently. It was a party that went from 2:00pm until 1:00 am. People literally swam the entire time. I bumped my FC up from my normal 8 to 10 before the party. The morning after the party I backwashed (we were almost due before the party) and dropped the auto cleaner in the pool. My FC was at 4, and pool was cloudy. I bumped it back to 10 and pool was nice and clear in a few hours.
    Currently Pooless

Former Pool:Buster Crabbe resin and steel 30'x15' oval 52" ABG pool Pentair sand dollar filter 1.5 Pentair Dynamo pump13,500 gallons

13. Back To Top    #13

Great! I hope mine goes well. My FC is at 4.5 so I better get to moving.
    Taylor FAS DPD test kit. 30k gal salt in-ground plaster pool. CircuPool RJ45. Cartridge Filter.

14. Back To Top    #14

If they're swimming and drinking the entire time... make sure they leave the pool pretty often!
    -Tom

17,000 gal plaster with spa. Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filters. Jandy systems with Aqualink RS and Polaris 360.

Pool Store free since May 2011!

15. Back To Top    #15

Just bump the chlorine up. Last weekend we had a party of about 48 people and We had 25+ people in our pool all at one time, kids and adults. Our party lasted 10 hours. The next day the pool was a bit cloudy however my chlorine level was a bit low. Ran the filter and in a couple of hours the pool was clear and sparkly

6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

16. Back To Top    #16

not to be a party pooper, but I would keep glass away from my beautiful pool.
    24' AG Doughboy w/ 5'8 dish bottom, CWII DE Filter, 1.5 hayward 2 speed pump, Aquatrol SWG.

17. Back To Top    #17

We had a small pool party today. Actually, my wife did more than me; I was at a train show with my club. But I knew it was going to happen, so I vacuumed last night and gave it 2 extra ppm FC. Before I took off this morning, I doublechecked pH and FC, and everything was perfect.

Came home to find a couple of adults out of the pool, a couple in the pool, and 3 kids, including a 2 year old in swim diapers and a 4 year old. They liked the hot tub, it had that nice shelf to run around on.

After they left, the water looked a little cloudy. So I dumped half a gallon in and brushed things around a little. It's already looking better.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!