Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SALT

1. Back To Top    #1

SALT

I have not added salt to the pool in 2 weeks and the salt level keeps creeping up. I was at a steady 3000 to 3100 daily, I did not check salt in 2 says and now this morning I am up to 3500.
    How can the salt level rise without added salt? Confused I am.
    15000 Salt Water, Hydrazzo plaster, all Jandy equipment. SWG, Polaris 280, booster pump, raised spa
    Houston, Texas -- It's a 105 in the shade.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SALT

Are you getting that reading from the generator or test strips?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

The actual salt level can't be changing that much unless you added salt. On the other hand, it is very common for the salt reading to vary from 3,000 to 3,100, but not so common for it to get up to 3,500. The first thing to understand is that the salt meters aren't all that precise and can give different readings on the same water. Usually that variation will be within +-200. However, if the water temperature has changed significantly the variation in salt readings could be larger.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I just checked the salt reading and now it is 3600! I am adding water as I am a little low, but somehow someway I have increased from 3000 on 7/5 to 3600 on 3/15 and I have not added any salt. Should I call for service on the Jandy box?
    15000 Salt Water, Hydrazzo plaster, all Jandy equipment. SWG, Polaris 280, booster pump, raised spa
    Houston, Texas -- It's a 105 in the shade.

5. Back To Top    #5

Has the water gotten noticeably warmer over that period of time? Some of the salt meters are not fully temperature compensated.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School