smaller pump running 24/7

UPSguy

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Toledo, OH
Trying to get all my ducks in a row before moving from our intex to a "real" 27-30' pool. All the local pool dealers with the exception of one are specing a 1 1/2 hp pump. Now I am not trying to get any brand wars going since there seems to be some hayward dislike here, just using them since I looked at their specs. According to hayward a 3/4hp pump is good to about 25000 gallons so why all this 1.5hp stuff?

Anyway, the lone dealer not recommending the big pump (or sand filter for that matter) is specing a smaller pump to run 24/7. Any problems with that idea? I don't mind running it all day if my electric usage won't be sky high.

If I might add a brand question into this, they are specing a waterway clearwater cartrige system, is wateway a good brand?

Smaller pumps will save electricity and otherwise work just as well. Pool stores push large pumps because most people think larger is better, which certainly isn't true here.

Getting a two speed pump is your best bet. A two speed on low is like getting a much smaller pump, and they are more readily available than small pumps. Of course the ideal is a small two speed, but those are almost impossible to find.

Even the smallest pumps are unlikely to need to be run 24/7, though I suppose that is just possible for the very smallest pump and a 30' pool. In any case that is something that you can adjust later, while getting a pump that is too large leaves you kind of stuck until it is time to replace it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.