My SWG is set at the lowest level (20%) and my chlorine level stays at 5-6 ppm. I'd like to keep it no higher than 3. I am running the pump for 5.5 hours per day; any less and the pool isn't filtered adequately. I turned the SWG off to let the level drop down to 1 and it took almost two weeks, but when I turned it back on to 20%, it brought the Chlorine level back up to 5 within a few days. Is there something else I can change in my chemistry that will help the chlorine dissipate faster? I really don't want to buy a smaller SWG. Here's my setup and numbers, and thanks in advance!
- Wife and I swim for 2-3 hours a day. We are the only bathers.
- Sun hits the pool for 8 hours a day. The pool cage (screen) filters some of the sunshine, but not much.
- Ambient temperatures have been mid 90's in the day dropping to mid 70's at night.
- We keep the pool at 88 degrees and by late afternoon, it's up to 92 or so.
- Test equipment: K-1766 Taylor Kit for Salt, LaMotte Instat-Test Strips for Borate, TF-100 Test Kit for all other tests
Total Chlorine: 5 (using K-1000 Test Cell)
pH: 7.5 (using K-1000 Test Cell)
Chlorine Drop Test: 5 free, 0 combined
Total Alkalinity: 80
Calcium Hardness: 160