DIY Fence Idea

Jul 4, 2011
In enclosing our in ground pool we needed to balance security with ease of monitoring. We wanted to be able to see the pool from inside our house and yet have it secured when we were not directly monitoring its use. We needed a "see through" fence. All of the more traditional methods like wrought iron and its variants or solid glass were too expensive for us. So we built a fence using four foot tall sheep/goat feedlot panels on the top combined with very short (only one foot) treated fence pickets. I won't go into construction details but will include a few pictures instead. I have a few finishing touches to complete such as trimming the top of the posts and facing the post with pickets, but I am quite happy with the way this turned out. More pics in next post.

COST BREAKDOWN (per 8 foot section)
3 - 6 foot pressure treated fence pickets @ $1.37 ea. = $4.11 (cut to desired height - I chose 11-3/4" for a finished panel height of 1')
6 - pressure treated 2 X 4 X 8 @ $2.97 ea. = $17.82 (5 of the 6 are ripped into 2 X 2's)
1/2 - Section of sheep/goat feedlot panel @ $28.00 * (approx.)
Screws, glue, misc. hardware $8.00 (estimated)

TOTAL excluding sales tax - $57.93
* Must be bought in full panels ($56.00)

Attachments

• P1010327 resized.jpg
    P1010327 resized.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 509
  • P1010328 resized.jpg
    P1010328 resized.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 506
  • P7100333 resized.jpg
    P7100333 resized.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 504
Did you check local code requirements for a pool fence? You may have another one around the yard so this may not matter. The spacing on that wire is too big for the regs in my area. Regardless, those look good and you get the pride of the DIY part too!

Since I have a safety cover in my area I am not required to have a fence at all. I can lower my insurance rates if the fence will not allow a 4 inch sphere to pass though the enclosure which this will do (3.75" spacing between wires). Local regs for a pool with fence only is the same.

trademak said:
Since I have a safety cover in my area I am not required to have a fence at all. I can lower my insurance rates if the fence will not allow a 4 inch sphere to pass though the enclosure which this will do (3.75" spacing between wires). Local regs for a pool with fence only is the same.

Nice!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
carlscan26 said:
Just about any fence can be climbed...check your local codes for requirements

Most local codes are just rehashes of the 1999 BOCA Code requirements:http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sf0TEDSdg&sig2=e6r-joHJVk27g5apsg6B0A&cad=rja

The OP's fence is definitely NOT BOCA compliant, as the vertical spacing substantially exceeds 1 3/4 inches. This would allow a kid to stick a foot in and climb the wall. Home depot garden wire mesh, which can be steel or vinyl-coated steel, would fill the bill and I think it costs less than the wire proposed. Ours is a BOCA town, and I have this wire stapled to the outside of a basic post and rail fence. I think that is about as cheap as you can do a BOCA fence.

trademak said:

Yep our local regs are just about the same. But the OPs may be different and as he said he's already compliant with the cover.

A fence provides a level of protection and reassurance but vigilance should never be forgotten. A determined child will find a way around just about any safety system.

Looks great, but if the primary reason for the fence is to safeguard your children, then it's a bit dubious. The wire material looks like the perfect climbing size and shape, not to mention very alluring looking for a child to climb. The more I think about it, the more this fence troubles me as a safety precaution.

When wemhad our Guardian fence installed at a cost of $1,500 dollars (which is a lot of money for us), I told the sales person that he could really quote me any price and I would have still said yes. He told me that the worst calls are those where he has to go to someone's home after one child has already been lost because the parents didn't want to spend the money for a safety fence. It's a chilling prospect, and one which all of use with pools and children should heed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.