Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Added 36 lbs CH up, zeroed out the Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Added 36 lbs CH up, zeroed out the Chlorine

Added 36 lbs CH up. zeroed out the Chlorine. SWG system. Kicked up output also had to raise CYA from 30 ppm. Added 1 gal for a 20000 gal pool.

Has this happened to anyone else, what is the deal.
    Seamus
    Slainte
    20,000 gal IG Gunite Pool - 1/2hp Hayward North-star Pump SP4005
    Hayward Swimclear Filter C4030 Sta-Rite SR400NA Max-E-Therm Heater, 400-BTU
    Jandy APURE35 AquaPure 35K Gallon EI Saltwater Chlorinator 120/240V - Nitro Wall Climber/scrubber

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Raised calcium hardness and free chloring went to zero

How are you both testing?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

This was the test after CH up added
    Before CYA up added

FC=0
    pH=7.8
    TA=80
    CH=300
    CYA=30
    Temp=80
    Using Leslie's Total Poolcare DPD Test Kit - Taylor product

I did not test TC
    Seamus
    Slainte
    20,000 gal IG Gunite Pool - 1/2hp Hayward North-star Pump SP4005
    Hayward Swimclear Filter C4030 Sta-Rite SR400NA Max-E-Therm Heater, 400-BTU
    Jandy APURE35 AquaPure 35K Gallon EI Saltwater Chlorinator 120/240V - Nitro Wall Climber/scrubber

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The CH test in the K-2005 is a good test....I was concerned you were using strips. I cannot explain the loss of FC as they are virtually unrelated. Is it possible your FC slipped to zero naturally prior to that test and you just hadn't noticed it?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the instructions for Jandy AquaPure it says to turn SWG unit off when adding chemicals. Any chance that calcium upset the SWG?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Added 36 lbs CH up, zeroed out the Chlorine

Calcium chloride won't have any effect on FC. But there is some chance that there was some organic contamination in your calcium chloride that could have used up chlorine.

anonapersona, adding calcium shouldn't have had any direct effect on the SWG. It is possible for the CH level to get too high, and for that to cause scaling, but Seamus's test results don't suggest any problem there and it would take at least several days to have any effect even if there was a problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Jason, I'm sill learning. Can we rest my post count to reflect my still-a-novice status?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

Hey, don't fret. I'm over 20,000 posts and I still make mistakes sometimes! Making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process, at all levels of experience.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School