New 11018 pump readings. Correct?

Jul 16, 2007
I installed a new Intelliflo 11018 with a D80 sand filter. I know I was advised to use a bigger filter but I just didn't have the cash. I think this one still has a lot more capacity than the 100 Sq Ft paper cartridge that I had. I just got it in this afternoon and haven't really had time to look at the book. On the speed 2 I am using about 289 watts. I have almost no pressure on the sand filter. When I go to 3 which is 1900 RPM the pressure goes to about 5.
There is a lot of volume coming from the jets. The pump is really quiet.
The inspection glass on the strainer looks different than I am used to. The other pump filled up completely. I can see the water running through the pump in this one. It doesn't com completely to the top.
I can also hear the water running through the pipes in the sand filter.

Are these normal indications, or should I be chasing something? I tried to keep everything air tight.

That all sounds normal. The variable speed pumps running on lower speeds often can't remove all the air from the pump strainer basket. As long as the water level in there stays relatively constant and doesn't surge up and down, and isn't a roiling froth of bubbles, you will be fine.

Thanks Jason,
I expected more pressure in the sand filter. I was worried that I might have a air leak on the input side. I really love this site. I could have gone a tangent here if I didn't have help available.
This thing is sweet. I was surprised. The fan motor draws air into the motor, as opposed to an exhaust. There is still a little heat which is wasted energy so there is still room for improvement. I can't wait till morning to see how the sand filter did overnight.

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.