Pump causing breaker to trip

Sounds like either a grounding issue or the start capacitor is failing. Has the pump been working previously? Does the impeller spin freely? If it is an AO Smith motor with the shaft sticking out the back (usually cover with a black plastic hex nut) you can remove the plastic nut and either stick a flat head screw driver and turn it or use a pair of pliers. Have someone turn the breaker on and you spin the shaft (clockwise) and see if the motors kicks in and starts working. If so, the start capacitor has failed. They are located in one of two places. If yor motor has the nut on the back that you soun it will be on top of the motor, in a cover about the size of a toilet paper tube.

If your motor is completely smooth and has a metal bowl covered near the cord the shaft is a lot harder to turn. You might have to remove to motor from the pump and turn the actual impeller. On this style the capacitor is underneath that metal bowl.

Good luck

I think that your motor is a "Capacitor Start/Capacitor Run" motor, which uses a start and a run capacitor. One is on top and one is in the back. The motor label should say "UAK" next to "Type" of motor if that is what you have.

You can try replacing both capacitors. Also, check that the voltage being supplied is correct for the pump wiring.

If you go to a local electric motor shop, they can test the capacitors for you, and sell you new ones, if needed.

It could be that the windings are open or shorted to ground. The electric motor shop can test the motor for you.

Here is a page that has some information that you might find helpful. Click on the link for pump motors.

You can get these capacitors at a mechanical/electrical supply house for @ $10. Unfortunately, I have become somewhat of an expert on them as I have had to replace 5 or 6 in the last 4 years! This is exactly what happens to me when mine go out. I would replace it before I would jump-start it though. I had an electrician do that for me this last time and now I'm dealing with shaft screw problems. Not sure if it's related but I can say that is the first time I've done the jump-start and this is the first time I've had problems with the screw. Just take the one that has been hooked up to them and they will get you what you need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.