Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Pool Vacuum Port Help

Pool Vacuum Port Help

Hi,

This is a dumb question, I know, but I don't know what the pool vacuum ports look like on typical inground pools. We just bought a house and neither of us have ever had an inground pool before.

There is a random uncovered piece of PVC coming out of the side above the waterline. What is this?

There are some randomly placed openings in the sides of the pool below the waterline as well. They are about 2 inches around with a plastic bar going through the middle. What are these?

Neither of these are the return valves. Are either of these things vacuum ports?
    16,500 gallon, inground, plaster pool. Cartridge filter.

5) If you know, tell us the size pump and the size (flow rate) of your filter.
    ^ I have no idea

Re: Pool Vacuum Port Help

The only way to tell is to open the vacuum port and see which outlet in the pool starts sucking water. It'll be under the waterline.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.