New Bromine User

If your bromine bank is low and you don't have any CYA in the water, you won't be able to maintain a sanitizer level through a sunny day. The other possibility is that there is ammonia, or something similar, in the water using up all of the sanitizer as quickly as you add it.

Now I am to the point where my feeder is wide open. I through a couple of lbs of shock into the pool and the level jumps to 7 to 10 ppm. I throttle the flow control back some and within a day, the levels are very low again, around 1 ppm or less. Will it take some time for my bromine bank to stabilize?

Thanks to all the help from everyone. I think I may have found the source to my problem. I just realized the other day that the pressure gauge at the exit of the filter was broken. It was stuck around 20 psi, and did not change with pump start up/stop. I changed the gauge out yesterday and it is reading just over 30 psi during operation. I am guessing that the feeder cannot gravity feed into the return line due to this high pressure. I am guessing that the only time I get bromine in the pool is when I turn everything off and take the cap off the feeder to refill because the water drains off. The sand hasn't been replaced in 4 years and the last owners ran a lot of nasty, green water through it. I plan on replacing sand next year and seeing if this helps.

That being said, one final question. I am running out of bromine tablets and I think I would like to change over to chlorine. My pool place tells me that I can still use chlorine but will always have bromine in my pool. Will it cost extra now for me to use the chlorine and if I continue to always use it will the bromine ever disappear? If the feed problem is truly pressure related I was going to by 3" chlorine tablets and put them in the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.