Can I close a spa for summer?

beezar

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 8, 2010
Houston, TX
Have a separate spa and pool (both outdoor and inground), and we probably won't use the spa for ~half a year (while it's hot). I've still been maintaining both, but was wondering if there was a way to close the spa during the hot months as we really don't use it. The spa is freeform (close to oval) ~12' x 9' and around 3' deep. It has a waterfall.

I was thinking of just draining the whole thing and leaving it like that for several months, but was concerned that might be bad for the spa, as it's bad for a pool, but the spa is so much smaller.

My main goal is to reduce the amount of work as it would make life much easier maintaining only the pool especially since we are not using the spa nowadays.

AquaDoctorLLC said:
You can treat it like any other pool closer, balance the chemicals fully, super chlorinate it and cover it, if possible.

Times like these is where you wish you has one filter. :) with water flowing back to pool and spa.

Tell me about it... it would make life so much easier if the water were shared between the two.

But I'm concerned about doing the usual closing procedure during the summer, as the water will be 90 degrees (!) and algae would surely grow, unlike in winter when water is much cooler.

Can I drain it or will that damage the spa?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.